Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

Been away for quite awhile. Thought perhaps I was getting a bit too snippy here so I stepped away. Came back to just add my 2 cents about how sad this situation is. Hope Vanguard can recover but seems daunting. Also, a quick search of the interwebs turned up California Codes title 11, section 999.9.4, which seems to indicate a registrant not in good standing cannot operate or solicit. Delinquent standing is one example of not being in good standing. You can go read it yourself should you care to. I don’t know if this regulation applies to SCV’s situation but the wording seems pretty clear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

No it does not.

The delinquency letter to VMAPA from CA AG Bonte dated 9/9/21 (on the first page of this thread) literally says:

"A delinquent organization may not engage in any activity for which registration is required, including solicitation or disbursing of charitable assets."

The registry website reinforces this regulation on several different pages. Relying on CA's bureaucratic slow down to find the time to clear the delinquency is not a winning strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Moreover, your nonprofit's directors, trustees, officers, and return preparers responsible for the failure to timely file these reports are personally liable for payment of all late fees and penalties. Charitable assets cannot be used to pay them. In other words, they must pay them out of their own pockets!

Could this be part of the reason why the revolving door of directors? Or the reason why they can’t find one at present?

”pay out of own pockets”…. Guessing current officers would be responsible for previous officers lack of filing 

42 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

The backlog is over 2 YEARS LONG?!?!?!?!   Sound like the same management team at VMAPA is running the CA DOJ...  :doh:

Thought we were at the 3 year stage? 🤦‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The delinquency letter to VMAPA from CA AG Bonte dated 9/9/21 (on the first page of this thread) literally says:

"A delinquent organization may not engage in any activity for which registration is required, including solicitation or disbursing of charitable assets."

The registry website reinforces this regulation on several different pages. Relying on CA's bureaucratic slow down to find the time to clear the delinquency is not a winning strategy.

It's clearly not a "winning strategy" to count on a COVID backlog.  The easy thing to do would be to submit the required independent audits and pay a nominal fine.  I quoted the statue already and I stand by my statement; unless they've received the C&D from the state they are not operating outside the law. 

Just my 2 cents but how many letters and warnings must they have ignored?  Even with ever changing administrative personnel, i am sure those letters from the state must have come pretty regularly. Speaks to me of a whole bunch of people turning a blind eye and hoping they would be gone before the *@!# hit the fan!  THAT is what i cannot forgive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's clearly not a "winning strategy" to count on a COVID backlog.  The easy thing to do would be to submit the required independent audits and pay a nominal fine.  I quoted the statue already and I stand by my statement; unless they've received the C&D from the state they are not operating outside the law. 

So SCV has the regulation spelled out to them in the delinquency letter. Board knows they have not followed the regs. But, it’s ok for them to keep operating as normal until they get told specifically to stop? Can’t see any other business getting warning letters and operating as usual because “no one told us to stop”. Warning letters usually allow businesses to clean up their act before action is taken. SCV been ignoring too long

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So SCV has the regulation spelled out to them in the delinquency letter. Board knows they have not followed the regs. But, it’s ok for them to keep operating as normal until they get told specifically to stop? Can’t see any other business getting warning letters and operating as usual because “no one told us to stop”. Warning letters usually allow businesses to clean up their act before action is taken. SCV been ignoring too long

Not told to "stop", until they get a C&D.  I don't know what more I can say.  

22 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not told to "stop", until they get a C&D.  I don't know what more I can say.  

Understand what you’re saying. I just can’t get used to fact that SCV knows they aren’t operating correctly but… we will keep going until we’re told to stop. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1