When one judge calls the show

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Here is a interesting scenario for the experts......................

Hypothetically speaking..............Let's say a corps goes into finals week 20th, but their percussion is #1. 

Quarterfinals.............the drumline is smoking and nails their show. How would the drum judge go about scoring this particular corps? 

Does he give them a 19.7 immediately.........................or knowing he has 19 corps left to judge, he gives them a 17.5, then at the end of the night, he makes adjustments to the scores including this 20th place corps drum score?

Thats where all the slotting accusations come from. 

There is a Mandela effect about Magic 98. Many people will say they had a top 6 horn line, but they never did, however who is to say that they werent that good? (I think it's possible they were). So did their grouping in the 12,13,14 range prevent their bass score from reaching top 6?  

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Here is a interesting scenario for the experts......................

Hypothetically speaking..............Let's say a corps goes into finals week 20th, but their percussion is #1. 

Quarterfinals.............the drumline is smoking and nails their show. How would the drum judge go about scoring this particular corps? 

Does he give them a 19.7 immediately.........................or knowing he has 19 corps left to judge, he gives them a 17.5, then at the end of the night, he makes adjustments to the scores including this 20th place corps drum score?

They get a 19.7 immediately and then adjust if needed later.

The more interesting question is what happens when 20th should get a 19.5 and the other 19 groups are even better…now what? With how talented these groups are getting every year, I won’t be surprised if this becomes more of a realistic scenario sooner rather than later at least if the sheets don’t ever change, which they would.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, ContraFart said:

I would have been less of an issue I guess.

If the numbers don't matter, then why is 99.65 relevant? Why do we release them at all when we can just use ordinals?

Sounds like how Texas does stuff in marching band.

6 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

They get a 19.7 immediately and then adjust if needed later.

The more interesting question is what happens when 20th should get a 19.5 and the other 19 groups are even better…now what? With how talented these groups are getting every year, I won’t be surprised if this becomes more of a realistic scenario sooner rather than later at least if the sheets don’t ever change, which they would.

I hear you brother. You are absolutely right with these groups getting better each year. 

Thanks for the feedback!!

6 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Either it's about managing the numbers, or it's about judging the show in front of you. IMO it can't be both. 

How would you judge the show in front of you?  What is your standard?  What are the criteria?  What makes a show perfect if you are the judge?  

Let’s hear your solution.  If it’s better maybe DCI will adopt it.  

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

How would you judge the show in front of you?  What is your standard?  What are the criteria?  What makes a show perfect if you are the judge?  

Let’s hear your solution.  If it’s better maybe DCI will adopt it.  

You are asking me to reinvent the wheel when I am just pointing out what I believe is a specific issue. 

How about you tell me how the current system gives a consensus winner. This thread is about an RCC fan feeling robbed by one judge. Im saying Pulse deserved to win and won despite a score from one judge I don't understand. (Actually I understand it, I just disagree with it).

I just happen to think that stuff happens, and yes you recover, but the recovery doesn't erase the mistake. But I guess due to the overwhelming opposition to that mindset, I am crazy.

Edited by ContraFart

18 hours ago, skevinp said:

That’s why Neil Armstrong didn’t say “One small trip for a man, one giant face plant for mankind.”

well he didn't fall!

11 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

Yes, numbers have always been managed. Are you new to this activity? Before judges were given the ability to change numbers prior to the end of the show, as a judge you had to leave room.  

Even if you thought the third group from the end had incredible design and performance, you couldn't write down the max rating of 20.0 because what if the following two groups were even better?   Not always, but the highest you would typically score would be a 19.8 to allow the possible 19.9 and 20.0.  Now with the flexibility to adjust before submitting, you can put the numbers in the correct order while adhering to the value of a tenth. 

There's always been numbers management.  It's a rating of the competition in front of you at that time based on the criteria of the sheet.  It's not a comparison to other classes, shows during that season or past years.  

I'm done posting on this.  

tell the percussion judges in 87 about leaving room.

signed BD 87 percussion 

11 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Then why not just have members fall down and recover on purpose?

because VK doesn't do WGI and Father Ryan wasn't out this year

11 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Either it's about managing the numbers, or it's about judging the show in front of you. IMO it can't be both. 

actually yes it can. 

• Thanks 1