Mandarins 2023

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I hope you get to see Sinnerman live under the lights. 

This show is a legit threat for top six. 

I wish. Was very lucky I got to see them from the sideline last year at all, I know that.

Instead I'll be the biggest little fan for hundreds of miles cheering them on with much enthusiasm.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2023 at 12:24 PM, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins ballad is going to bring the house down in Indy. Both nights in Vista and San Bernardino, they had some fans on their feet at the end of the ballad. 

We could be on the cusp of seeing the Mandarins become a destination corps over the next few seasons. 

Having been at the same shows, I strongly agree. 2019 was my favorite Mandy show until now.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Having been at the same shows, I strongly agree. 2019 was my favorite Mandy show until now.

It's reading really well remotely too. Just saw the first complete production and WOW just WOW!

Feed a little more Wheaties to the two guard with solo rifle tosses and I am set. Whatever they're giving the trombone quartet will do!

Love a show that demonstrates a voluntary slide from grace into sin. :shedevil:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It's reading really well remotely too. Just saw the first complete production and WOW just WOW!

Feed a little more Wheaties to the two guard with solo rifle tosses and I am set. Whatever they're giving the trombone quartet will do!

Love a show that demonstrates a voluntary slide from grace into sin. :shedevil:

Lovely read by Ashlee Wood at DCI, breaking down the show theme and music: https://dci.org/news/mandarins-take-on-nina-simone-classic-in-2023-show-sinnerman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think what may be holding them back right now is lack of competition in their peer-group.  They don’t have anyone chasing them on a nightly basis, nor are they able to realistically challenge Blue Devils above them.  One could argue that the Mandarins are the Corps most hurt by SCV’s absence; they would likely be in tight competition.  

As is, on 18 July they meet Cavaliers for first time; by then slots may be rather set in rapidly setting concrete. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think what may be holding them back right now is lack of competition in their peer-group.  They don’t have anyone chasing them on a nightly basis, nor are they able to realistically challenge Blue Devils above them.  One could argue that the Mandarins are the Corps most hurt by SCV’s absence; they would likely be in tight competition.  

As is, on 18 July they meet Cavaliers for first time; by then slots may be rather set in rapidly setting concrete. 

You could be on to something. From a competitive standpoint, Mandarins haven't been battle tested yet, meanwhile Blue Stars, Cavies, Phantom are throwing haymakers at each other, and I believe the Cadets will be joining them soon.  

Mandarins will have to figure it out and rise above it. 

But it would be nice if they had someone out west in that 5-9 tier that they could spar with.

• Like 4