Mandarins 2023

Congrats Mandarins on an absolute beast of a season.  Fav show of the year for me!

And, on an odd note, I'm so happy also that Brandt Crocker finally pronounced the show better! When I went into Stanford, I was pretty much blind on what all the shows were. I seriously thought he said Cinnamon. Then I heard similar pronunciation in Prelims and Semis... like Sinnermun.  Then I'd chuckle to myself because he would then pronounce the "Man" in "Mandarins" correctly.  I'm sure it's probably just regional accents and stuff but I found it funny.  Then in Finals, he said it correctly and it almost sounded like he had to catch himself from saying it incorrectly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NeutralNovice said:

Congrats Mandarins on an absolute beast of a season.  Fav show of the year for me!

And, on an odd note, I'm so happy also that Brandt Crocker finally pronounced the show better! When I went into Stanford, I was pretty much blind on what all the shows were. I seriously thought he said Cinnamon. Then I heard similar pronunciation in Prelims and Semis... like Sinnermun.  Then I'd chuckle to myself because he would then pronounce the "Man" in "Mandarins" correctly.  I'm sure it's probably just regional accents and stuff but I found it funny.  Then in Finals, he said it correctly and it almost sounded like he had to catch himself from saying it incorrectly.

I'm fairly certain that somebody from Mandarins must've told Brandt how to properly say the title of the Mandarins' show (along with how to correctly pronounce one of the DM's names). For Finals, Brandt nailed the pronunciation for both.

12 minutes ago, brassboy said:

He was extremely close for finals! Ended with “howt” which is minor compared to previous attempts where Brandt added extras syllables at the end. 😂

Indeed... We would kind of chuckle at the attempts these past two years.

But in his defense, it's a tough name and we'd struggle with it too if we hadn't known the family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnDF said:

Indeed... We would kind of chuckle at the attempts these past two years.

But in his defense, it's a tough name and we'd struggle with it too if we hadn't known the family.

An announcer at an earlier show took a long pause and then somehow added 3 extra syllables. I almost want to make Milo a t-shirt with all of the bad pronunciations on it. 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

He was extremely close for finals! Ended with “howt” which is minor compared to previous attempts where Brandt added extras syllables at the end. 😂

I was listening for that too. My HS band had a DM with a name of that, when you heard it, made sense to how it was spelled. But when you hadn’t, was open to all kinds of guesses. 

Announcers mangled it so many ways we got yelled at if we reacted to the mangling on field.  

Eventually the director included a pronunciation guide, but that only helped some. I think it was a BOA regional where the mangling was so bad, she about face snapped to the box after the “is your band ready?”  and hollered in full DM voice, it’s pronounced _______!” As the head DM on the box saluted. 

I was in her arc and we were stunned she’d done that. Se stared down the line with an, “I dare you to ever bring this up again” look on her was pure bad-___ery. 

Opener that year was Conquest and we were super aggro with it. It was one of our best runs all year.