Experience Timeless Excellence at the VMAPA Hall of Fame Celebration

The Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA) is delighted to announce the highly anticipated VMAPA Hall of Fame Celebration, a night of extraordinary talent and tribute to the legends of the marching arts community. Join us on Saturday, July 8, 2023, at the ConXion To Community venue, located at 749 Story Road, San Jose, CA […]

View the full article

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes Santa Clara had a glorious past and I’m sure there are many folks who deserve to be honored, but this year is not the year to be inducting anyone in Vanguard’s Hall of Fame. Even if it could raise funds to pay off past debts, celebrating right now would be a slap in the face to many and from a public relations point of view, a terrible optic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Yes Santa Clara had a glorious past and I’m sure there are many folks who deserve to be honored, but this year is not the year to be inducting anyone in Vanguard’s Hall of Fame. Even if it could raise funds to pay off past debts, celebrating right now would be a slap in the face to many and from a public relations point of view, a terrible optic.

Agree - how tone-deaf can one be? 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree - how tone-deaf can one be? 

"Tone-deaf" jumped to my mind as well!

And, I can't help but picture Nero fiddling while Rome is burning...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Would some of the money raised at this event be returned to the marching members who were turned away for 2023?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Some clarifications:

They're technically not allowed to actively solicit donations for an unclear amount of time. If this was originally intended to be a fundraiser, then that was thwarted long ago by whoever missed charity registrations.

They've published on their newsletters that they're out of debt, so no, they don't have remaining debt to clear. Any funds raised at this event will have gone to the Feeding Vanguard Forever campaign.

I don’t remember getting final word on reimbursements for returning vets and those who auditioned. They were well underway last time I checked in and should be done by now.

I'd be upset to learn otherwise regarding any of the above.

When I saw you posted I hoped that you were announcing that you would be among those inducted into the SCV HoF as there are few more deserving.  

As far as debt payments go, I know SCV is claiming they are paid off. But I don’t know whether to believe them or not.  There needs to be a complete audit by a qualified third-party auditor.  And DCI should make it clear that they are not welcome back to the activity until financial audit shows stability, and that anyone remotely connected to the events that led to the meltdown (including member mistreatment) are no longer associated with SCV.  

In other words, DCI needs to Pioneer SCV.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

When I saw you posted I hoped that you were announcing that you would be among those inducted into the SCV HoF as there are few more deserving.  

This is quite generous of you, but I'd reckon few people, especially my fellow alum, would agree. I don't even feel comfortable in alum meetings despite efforts on all sides.

Besides there are many more deserving who are quieter than me. And I knew some of those inductees once upon a time. Good people.

As to your other points, that's all out of my hands. Always has been.

• Like 1

DCP can be a tough crowd. Now more than ever Santa Clara should be circling the wagons and celebrating their distinguished alumni despite mismanagement.  They must keep the enthusiasm going for themselves, give them a chance, or they'll be lost forever.  

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

DCP can be a tough crowd. Now more than ever Santa Clara should be circling the wagons and celebrating their distinguished alumni despite mismanagement.  They must keep the enthusiasm going for themselves, give them a chance, or they'll be lost forever.  

Personally, I think it’s doubtful that we’ll see Santa Clara return. I hope I’m wrong and I’d be more than willing to eat crow if we see a new and managerially improved SCV next year. That being said, the last thing you do is celebrate while the organization is engulfed in scandal. It may very well be the case that those who attend would be angrier and more disappointed than the average fan, but the perception of a celebration is that the financial issues, the safety issues, and other issues that have surfaced don’t matter.  If you want to gather alums, have the purpose be to get things moving in the right direction. When a plan is in place, then celebrate. This shows you understand and it builds up good faith and trust.

• Like 3