2023 Drums

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Btw, I'm not certain the Boston drums are wrapped.  I ran my fingers over one of the tenors and they have texture to them which feels like real wood.  They may be actually woodgrain, but I didn't look close enough to be sure.

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

I would guess it is a wrap. I've not ever known Pearl to do really elaborate lacquer finishes. I know it can be done because I have a Tama drum set done in the Ocean Blue Ripple lacquer that would a be a similar style as these Pearl. With that being said, a good lacquer finish on a drum will still be smooth to the touch.

From the Pearl/Adams FB page, it a ripple wrap.  Pearl calls it #854 "White Ice Swirl".  I'd post the picture but...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=654913603343617&set=pcb.654916460009998

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

From the Pearl/Adams FB page, it a ripple wrap.  Pearl calls it #854 "White Ice Swirl".  I'd post the picture but...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=654913603343617&set=pcb.654916460009998

This is a finish they offer on the Masters Maple Gum drum set.

It is a lacquer according to their website. I don't think Pearl does wraps on their high end kits.

https://pearldrum.com/products/drum-sets/masters-maple-gum/masters-maplegum

Edited by gbass598
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Even cooler! Thought it was a wrap.  

This video comparing the Maple Gum to a Grestch USA Custom actually shows this exact finish in great detail up close.

I really like it a lot. Sadly, I don't think the details will be seen from the stands but they certainly look beautiful up close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Very cool.  The 'silk ripple' pattern is similar to the 'oyster' pattern but seems to be a little tighter grain.  (The 'black oyster' wrap was made famous by Ringo Starr with The Beatles.)  Sorry to 'geek out' over drum wraps. 😁 

I had a Ludwig kit in pewter (stainless) wrap at one point. I always hated their marching drums (which seemed to follow me from high school to drum corps) but loved their kits. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Well I guess it is more exciting than discussing if the horns are silver or gold plated brass.

We have to have something to do, right brother? We already had the deep discussion of the how the "dut" came to be and somewhere in this forum is probably a thread about something silly like "Why are there 106 ways to play the same hybrid rudiment?" We are simple creatures and pretty drum colors excite us. 

P.S. - Show of hands, how many of us used contact paper to "re-skin" the drums with one of our high school lines we taught because we had a budget of $19.73 for the entire season

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I had a Ludwig kit in pewter (stainless) wrap at one point. I always hated their marching drums (which seemed to follow me from high school to drum corps) but loved their kits. 

I used Ludwig in college. The new Ludwig drums BD use are REALLY Good. I takes away the bitter taste of what I had to play on in the 90’s.