Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

Having seen Spirit of Atlanta and Blue Knights last night in Pittsburgh I was a little shocked Spirit did not win out. I think Spirit's show just grabs me a little more. BK is really good and they likely use the field a little better, but from a music and guard standpoint I found Spirit more effective. Both are good shows. I would not be surprised to see Spirit make a run this weekend. But as mentioned Crossmen have turned it up too and I have not seen them live. Only from Flo and I like their show as well. 

• Like 2

Here's mine...

1. BD (locked)

2. Crown

3. BAC

4. Bluecoats (locked)

5. Cadets

6. Mandarins (wow they've come a long way)

7. Phantom

8. Cavies (locked)

9. Troopers

10. Colts

11. Blue Stars (locked)

12. Crossmen

13. Blue Knights

Edited by dciguy01

11 minutes ago, Waxman said:

Also a front ensemble guy, these were my thoughts too. Like BD's show this year but the mallet book is pretty lacking.

Personally I love how Blue Devils use their pit. I think they see the pit as more of a rhythm section in a jazz/fusion/rock orchestra kind of way. The writing is excellent. I think they have been trying to pull away from brass, percussion, mallet corps if you will. There is more emphasis on bass, guitar, drum set and keys. The guy on drum set is just incredible. The various sounds used on the guitar and keys really add to the music in an appropriate way -- and when they do use more mallet work it is well done without being overbearing. When you consider how this aspect weaves into the whole sound of their show you can see where they are going with it. Last night they were blended with the field percussion and brass incredibly well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Waxman said:

Also a front ensemble guy, these were my thoughts too. Like BD's show this year but the mallet book is pretty lacking.

I’m not saying BD’s front ensemble book is the same level as the rest of the top 4. But to call it an open class book is laughable 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m not saying BD’s front ensemble book is the same level as the rest of the top 4. But to call it an open class book is laughable 

It's not laughable, they are demonstrating nearly identical skills. The performance level is obviously much higher, but as far as content SCVC and BDB are demonstrating a very similar level of skills...or were at least. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The various sounds used on the guitar and keys really add to the music in an appropriate way -- and when they do use more mallet work it is well done without being overbearing. When you consider how this aspect weaves into the whole sound of their show you can see where they are going with it. Last night they were blended with the field percussion and brass incredibly well. 

I mean, you're pretty much saying the same thing, that they're focusing on clarity. However since when has DCI been about clarity and simplicity? Demonstration of virtuosity and skills are part of the activity. Higher, faster, louder, harder, and more of each simultaneously. 

You can say you like the sound, which is fine, they obviously sound great, but the level of demand isn't really there. I think it's funny that some of the BD fans (not necessarily you), can't accept even small objective criticisms of their design choices, even when it's pretty objectively clear. 

31 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Having seen Spirit of Atlanta and Blue Knights last night in Pittsburgh I was a little shocked Spirit did not win out. I think Spirit's show just grabs me a little more. BK is really good and they likely use the field a little better, but from a music and guard standpoint I found Spirit more effective. Both are good shows. I would not be surprised to see Spirit make a run this weekend. But as mentioned Crossmen have turned it up too and I have not seen them live. Only from Flo and I like their show as well. 

I agree that Sprit has a much more effective and energy driven show than BK, but I think BK just much more maturity of sound and a more complete book. I am rooting for Crossmen to edge it out, but I think BK will take that 12th spot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Sure, this is just my best guess. Also I doubt Crown will do that, their percussion is problematic and will likely land 6th or below, though they were also 6th when they won in 2013, so who knows. 

I guess that means BD percussion is going to place 7th then. They may not be the gold standard, but they do consistently place at the top. So considering history, with BD consistently placing in the top of the percussion tier, I don't think Crown is going to "land 6th or below". 

And you can go ahead and call me a BD stan, but you'd be wildly mistaken. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in your "open class book" thoughts on BD percussion. Judges seem to agree as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I guess that means BD percussion is going to place 7th then. They may not be the gold standard, but they do consistently place at the top. So considering history, with BD consistently placing in the top of the percussion tier, I don't think Crown is going to "land 6th or below". 

And you can go ahead and call me a BD stan, but you'd be wildly mistaken. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in your "open class book" thoughts on BD percussion. Judges seem to agree as well.

Again, it's a combined caption. As others have pointed out, the battery book is more difficult, yet they aren't getting rewarded for it. Why do you think that is? You can't plan to win drums when 50% of your ensemble isn't demonstrating the necessary skills to be competitive. I don't have to convince you, anyone can compare videos to see exactly what's happening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Again, it's a combined caption. As others have pointed out, the battery book is more difficult, yet they aren't getting rewarded for it. Why do you think that is? You can't plan to win drums when 50% of your ensemble isn't demonstrating the necessary skills to be competitive. I don't have to convince you, anyone can compare videos to see exactly what's happening. 

Yet the judges have been saying otherwise. So who are we to believe? You, who is trying to push a narrative that is different than what's on the sheets, or the judges? Lets be honest with ourselves here, the percussion judges typically don't pay any attention to the pit unless during the ballad when the battery isn't playing (if they aren't playing in the ballad, because that's really starting to change). MA is typically where you'll get pit feedback, but then again they've been consistently placing well in MA too.

I think I'll stick with the trained judges, thanks.

• Thanks 1