Define General Effect

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Constant intervals.  Straight lines when they are supposed to be.  Brass & percussion in tune. Consistent attacks and releases.  All the snares/tenors/basses playing together. Flags & rifles spinning/tossing/catching together.  And so forth. 

One of the most steadfast holdovers from our military roots. As an instructor, cleaning was always my favorite part of the job!

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Constant intervals.  Straight lines when they are supposed to be.  Brass & percussion in tune. Consistent attacks and releases.  All the snares/tenors/basses playing together. Flags & rifles spinning/tossing/catching together.  And so forth. 

Thanks.

That's  pretty clear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

They're referring to WGI's judging system rubric that originally had 5 categories of achievement, nor has six. See here: https://wgi.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2023_WGI_CG_Ind-World-GE_Scoresheet.pdf

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Box 5 ?

The scoring sheets are broken down into 5 boxes and each box represents a word based on performance

Box 1 - 1-29 rarely

Box 2 - 30-49 infrequently 

Box 3 - 50-69 sometimes

Box 4 - 70-89 usually

Box 5 - 90-100 always

There was a point some places used box 6 which was like 97-100 but that's gone.

As the season goes on everyone gets better and more consistent so they move up the boxes. 

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The scoring sheets are broken down into 5 boxes and each box represents a word based on performance

Box 1 - 1-29 rarely

Box 2 - 30-49 infrequently 

Box 3 - 50-69 sometimes

Box 4 - 70-89 usually

Box 5 - 90-100 always

There was a point some places used box 6 which was like 97-100 but that's gone.

As the season goes in everyone get better and more consistent so they move up the boxes. 

Reminds me of my licensing exam.

5-E00-CF0-B-E6-B1-4-F55-AD76-0-B20272-E5

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The word "clean" gets tossed around a lot on this site.

As someone who never marched, could someone please define,  in " words of one syllable" exactly  what "clean" is ? 

performed really well

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

My general opinion on this is that today cleanliness will be rewarded more. If the show is super easy that will be noted by the judge. When you're talking about the top 12 corps though none of the shows are easy. But it depends on the time of the summer tour. During the early season I think judges will try to see where things are going and what the intended effect is.

Around mid-season the GE judges will expect to see improvements and can get a better read on what the intended effect is supposed to generate. As the show cleans those intended effects should be more obvious. 

During Finals week if the corps is still not very clean then it can be seen as a negative. Perhaps the marchers/players were given something too demanding. In the end a cleaner show makes reading the visual and music so much more obvious. 

How hard does a show need to be? And does difficulty bring about effect? Sometimes it does. But not all the time. Sloppiness in the drill/visual program or music come Finals week will not project the show's intended effects very well. In this case the judges will give more credit to a corps that performs a show that is hard enough but also clearly developed and super clean in performance. 

clean helps the effects truly come through. demand often hampers if not clean

• Like 3

I once heard Swedish Chef in a critique define General Effect as “Bluh herdy snurrbl devestehoodt jkeverda floon a ver— Bork Bork Bork!” It made so much sense after that.👨‍🍳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1