The Battle for 12th!!!

Just now, Jnecker said:

Just curious, will the Troopers get by with a Harmonica Solo, isn't the Harmonica a Reed instrument and thus illegal to use in a show?

Will that choice haunt them in the race for the finals?

First, they will easily make finals this year.

Second, it doesn't seem like anything is illegal these days. 😂

Just now, CAtenhut said:

First, they will easily make finals this year.

I agree on making the finals but in the talk here if the Troopers are easily in than so are the Colts.  By average almost identical in scores. It does look like a 3-4 way battle for that 12th spot.  

Sounds good on the Harmonica, pretty new to watching DCI but there was some talk about it at a recent show I was attending.

8 minutes ago, Jnecker said:

Just curious, will the Troopers get by with a Harmonica Solo, isn't the Harmonica a Reed instrument and thus illegal to use in a show?

We talked about it the other day. Dictionary defines it as a percussive instrument. Just like a string instrument was used last year. You can bend the rules to somehow consider all of these as pit instruments because guitars are so why not cello and harmonica 

7 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

We talked about it the other day. Dictionary defines it as a percussive instrument. Just like a string instrument was used last year. You can bend the rules to somehow consider all of these as pit instruments because guitars are so why not cello and harmonica 

So bending the rules till they get penalized or changed.  I guess the old saying "if you are not cheating you are not trying" is in effect until someone says you can't.

I thought the Harmonica was considered a free-reed instrment?

I suspect dictionaries saying "its either a reed wind or a percussion" are referring to a gadget called the glass harmonica when talking about the percussion part.

What troop has is clearly a reed instrument.  

That said I love the sound blend with the trumpet and that ballad is amazing.   I'm fine with its use.  

This thing...is considered a percussion instrument

Which is basically the same thing as running your fingers around a series of glasses with water in them.   Which would be a super awesome feature to pull off in the pit if someone could do it.   

Edited by KVG_DC

2 hours ago, Jnecker said:

There is zero chance that the legality of the instrument was not checked and greenlighted before composition of the music began. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

If you could get away with literally anything, I know certain corps would definitely take advantage of this 😏

11 hours ago, Jnecker said:

I believe since it's solely used a solo instrument, it doesn't go against the rules. I mean the cello didn't. Cadet's violin in 2016 didn't go against the rules. 

• 3 weeks later...