The Battle for 12th!!!

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I was going to use a term we use in the military when we have to crowd people into small spaces or areas, but Lord knows in 2023 I might trigger someone and get banned from DCP lol. 

But honestly, for your sanity, would that be such a bad thing?  🙂

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Sorry if I misunderstood your message, but you're actually wrong here. If you look back at any year, you will not find more corps within 3 points of that 12th spot than we have today - 6!! Many years there were only 2 or 3 corps fighting for that position. In 2011, Glassmen finished in 13th place at Semis 3.15 pts behind Spirit, so there was no competition for that final 12th spot. Yes, there were a lot more drum corps competing at DCI 10-15-20 years ago, but not competing for Finals.

I’m not referring to scores. I’m more reacting to the quality - in my opinion- to what I’m seeing and hearing from the corps on the bubble. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I’m not referring to scores. I’m more reacting to the quality - in my opinion- to what I’m seeing and hearing from the corps on the bubble. 

Corps are not "knocking on the finals door" if they aren't scoring well. Even if you felt like there were corps in the past in the 13-18 range that entertained you more than this year, that is a personal preference. The numbers is all you need to look at to prove your initial argument false.

But I do get what you mean now... I think you just did not explain it the right way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Corps are not "knocking on the finals door" if they aren't scoring well. Even if you felt like there were corps in the past in the 13-18 range that entertained you more than this year, that is a personal preference. The numbers is all you need to look at to prove your initial argument false.

But I do get what you mean now... I think you just did not explain it the right way. 

All good. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:31 AM, Onionhead2 said:

You might be right….. but I don’t think so.

We are right. Not only are Troopers and Colts 3-4 points ahead, their shows are exceptionally better than any corps fighting for that 12th spot - better design, much more complex, and much better executed. No way either of them is not making finals.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Sorry if I misunderstood your message, but you're actually wrong here. If you look back at any year, you will not find more corps within 3 points of that 12th spot than we have today - 6!! Many years there were only 2 or 3 corps fighting for that position. In 2011, Glassmen finished in 13th place at Semis 3.15 pts behind Spirit, so there was no competition for that final 12th spot. Yes, there were a lot more drum corps competing at DCI 10-15-20 years ago, but not competing for Finals.

There are two corps competing for that last spot in the top 12 - BK and Crossmen. 

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

There are two corps competing for that last spot in the top 12 - BK and Crossmen. 

At this point, it does look to be a 2 horse race, but there are 3 other corps that are less than 2 pts behind Crossmen right now (PC, Spirit, and Scouts), so let's not count them all out just yet. Realistically, I still think PC and Spirit have an outside chance.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a tie for 12th in 1977 between the Kilts and Garfield Cadets.  I was near the Kilts busses when the last score was announced and they knew they were in.  Lots of whooping! Now that's a memory this 15 year old didn't think he'd still remember at 61.

Interestingly this was same year Bridgemen were DQ'd so they could still fit the remaining finalists on three albums/8-tracks.  But we got 13 corps on finals night.

Edited by MadScout80