Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

This already seems like a huge improvement over their performance a couple nights ago. This show is such an improvement over last year's.

Just now, gbass598 said:

Am I not getting the deal with the bass drums and the breathalizer tubes? I've watched the show twice and even seen a lot video and I just don't get it or what it adds.

It’s supposed to change the pitch.  I see them live next week, interested in if you can even tell, sure can’t over the feed.  

2 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

This already seems like a huge improvement over their performance a couple nights ago. This show is such an improvement over last year's.

I would honestly argue otherwise. Concept either isn’t super strong or isn’t obvious. They’re pretty loud, but nothing seems very standout to me, especially content wise 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Sabres not effectively staged either

Hiding the colorguard behind props during the big front feature is bad too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

BK brass sound is certainly unharnessed.  Feels nuclear level blasty.  

100% same in person.  They are louder than Mandarins with the blasting, but Mandarins sound is soooooo much prettier to hear when they change volume.

• Like 2

Big sound tonight from BK. Might have had some audio issues from the French Horn on the tower in the opener. But that large, open sound is back. And Bocook’s book is showing in the brass runs, 16th runs, and chord structures. 

BK had been practicing a few miles from my house at a local HS in Commerce City, CO since April. The front range in this area is flat, and sound travels as there are no trees, just homes and some structures. I could hear their drums and brass echos in my backyard this past Spring….from those 3 miles away. 

Looking forward to seeing this live and stomping my feet in the stands next Saturday in Fort Collins. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1