Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

Just now, lawdn said:

Dashed to the car after the show and hour and a half drive home to let the dogs out.

MANDARINS: Holy ****! Never seen anything like this. Wild yet disciplined energy and power. Music book is raucous, swinging, driving, smooth, crisp, whatever the moment calls for. So much going on all the time everywhere yet very well staged. There is a pulse that underlies the show, usually carried in the music but they let the music slow down and breathe at times, and then the MM movement carries the pulse. The energy and verve is every bit the equal of PR’s show from what I can tell but the vibe is completely new to me. Must be seen live to be believed.

BLUE DEVILS: “awesome” is a word created to describe a show like this. They take the field like they own it and never let go. Majestic, playful, gut-wrenching, cool, with nearly impeccable tone, perfect phrasing, breathtaking guard work, graceful movement, color everywhere. The ballad is mesmerizing and unbelievable musically, with maybe the most beautiful flag feature ever, topping even 2027 ballad there. Closer is a placeholder and it is still pretty darn good. I haven’t seen anyone yet who can beat them, so we will have to see what others have up their sleeves.

Oh yeah - BD is coming for EVERY caption. They may not take them all but if they don’t they will push the winner to the limit. Percussion, battery and pit, were smoking tonight!

• Like 4

Was there. Top 3 observations 1. BDB to bad not goi g to Indy because they probably would win open class. 2. Mandarins are for real. A huge leap from previous years. 1BD.   if there is a show designed to 3 peat it’s this one. NO weakness whatsoever. Every section gets their notice and blended with others it’s just outstanding. I have to say the color of the  unis pop on the field. I wanted another 10 mins of this show. They are a threat to sweep all caps. That’s how good and talented they are. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was a doubter until I saw it live. No more doubts. When this show is finished no one will doubt. As we left BD was going to their buses outside, and unis are spectacular up close. BTW on July 9, 2014 BD scored 87.35. I looked that up when I saw discussions about inflated scores for BD this year. I can’t blame anyone who hasn’t seen The Cutouts live.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I was a doubter until I saw it live. No more doubts. When this show is finished no one will doubt. As we left BD was going to their buses outside, and unis are spectacular up close. BTW on July 9, 2014 BD scored 87.35. I looked that up when I saw discussions about inflated scores for BD this year. I can’t blame anyone who hasn’t seen The Cutouts live.

Oh yea the whole "West Coast Inflation" blah blah talk is alive and well in some other threads. It is definitely DCI season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Oh yea the whole "West Coast Inflation" blah blah talk is alive and well in some other threads. It is definitely DCI season. 

And talk of West Coast inflation slights the Mandarins as well. Yes, they are finishing 2nd by 6 points, but that is 6 points behind The Cutouts! Mandies are going to surprise people too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I was there last night and was in awe by the Mandarins and Blue Devils!

Watching the Mandarins on Flo does not do this show justice. It has so much energy and attitude, and musically it flows so well.

And I've been saying all week that BD is winning it all again, and last night confirmed it. The only thing I don't love is they amp the entire corps... 5 mics lined across the front. They're so loud, but it also sounds a bit artificial. Also don't love the ending, but I'm sure it'll change 4 more times by Indy. 

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

In terms of drill cleanliness they’re probably comparable but in terms of the details (consistency of movement, movement technique, dance technique), BD is on another level from the rest of the field. It’s not close 

No yeah that’s very fair 

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

At this point, I feel like those that complain about "west coast inflation" are just parroting something they've heard in the past, since that hasn't really been the case for awhile now -- in some instances they've been more conservative the last few seasons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dcsnare93 said:

At this point, I feel like those that complain about "west coast inflation" are just parroting something they've heard in the past, since that hasn't really been the case for awhile now -- in some instances they've been more conservative the last few seasons.

Very true.

Well tonight is the last night we get to disrespect these corps with the inflation crap since they are leaving Cali. 

Wait..................there is Utah on Wednesday night. Some might consider that west coast. Guess we gotta hear it for a few more days lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Very true.

Well tonight is the last night we get to disrespect these corps with the inflation crap since they are leaving Cali. 

Wait..................there is Utah on Wednesday night. Some might consider that west coast. Guess we gotta hear it for a few more days lol. 

LOL it’s Mountain Time, so if someone calls that west coast they’ve already shown a lack of credibility. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 4