Devils Crusade(rs) and Sin Along The Rockies 23

6 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Same announcer was at Utah and Colorado. Same idiotic "joke". 

If he’s announcing somewhere else this season and does it, the crowd should just turn and  say NO. STOP. JUST NO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ediker said:

What was said by the announcer?

The skin cancer joke. I don’t remember the exact wording but both times it hit like “really? You’re joking about that?”

The announcer was having vets (previous people who had marched st various corps) stand up and be acknowledged by the audience and then made a stupid joke saying, "Should we have these people checked for Melanoma/skin cancer?... something to that effect.

28 minutes ago, Trog1 said:

The announcer was having vets (previous people who had marched st various corps) stand up and be acknowledged by the audience and then made a stupid joke saying, "Should we have these people checked for Melanoma/skin cancer?... something to that effect.

In Utah, as he was acknowledging alumni in the crowd and commenting about the percentage or ratio of alumni there, he then said "I wonder what the ratio is of people with skin cancer", or something really stupid like that.

• Confused 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:52 AM, jwillis35 said:

Fantastic Review, Jake!!!!! Loved reading every word. You are correct about the Blue Devils too. When you see them live it makes all the difference. They hit you in the face with every aspect of their ability to perform. Hearing their brass and percussion live is so different to video or streaming. Their body control and body carriage is so pristine. One of the other 3 corps in contention will need to really pull out the stops to come close to the Blue Devils. 

I couldn't agree more.  Jake, Stellar review.  I was there live in Ft. Collins on the 50 about half way up the upper deck.   Perfect seats.  I was going to share more detailed thoughts, but you really nailed almost everything that I thought too.

Battalion - My apologies, we were late getting to the show

Cascades - Really impressed with how strong they were after such a long absence.  Nice power.

Pacific Crest - Best corps they've had.  Talented and executing so well for mid July.  I will say I didn't get drawn into the show, but it was first viewing.  

Academy -  I was so impressed with Academy live!!  They are cleaning up nicely, and their best design in years.  Great music book and horn line that has the potential to score really well.  Beautiful, enjoyable show with power.

Troopers - Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  Gotta see this live.  every caption is stronger this year, and a huge leap up for the Horn Line from 2022 (which I adored).  Best Troopers corps since the 70s.  So, so, so happy for Troop.  Corps in the 8-9 range better not sleep on Troopers.  Best prop since Vanguard's Babylon Tour De Force.

Mandarins - Like PC, I was amazed at their talent and execution.  Yet, this show didn't connect with me yet either - and I think it's just because there are so many layers that I need to see it 2-3 times to fully get & love the show. The Regiment-Cadets battle for 5th-6th is now a legit battle for 5th-7th that includes Mandarins.  So cool to see.

Blue Devils - I said it elsewhere but this is easily the best BD corps across all captions since the Fellini show.  You must see BD live to appreciate it and understand that they are simply on another level right now.  I had newbies with me with no ABBD bias, and they all commented leaving that they were surprised that BD didn't beat BC by more.  This is like 2008 BD where only a powerhouse design that set the crowd on fire would have a chance to complete, and there is no Spartacus, Babylon, Emc2 or Angels & Demons show this year in the corps in the 2-4 grouping.  Personally I would have had BD 3 points up on Crusaders, but would DCI really want that kind of spread going into Finals?  NO.

Boston - When they announced their show, my thought was cool theme but really hard to bring it to life in a way that wows and moves you. My worry was matched by what I saw, at least on first viewing.  Uber talented corps in every section.  Another show, like PC & Mandarins that I need to see several more times.  But first impression (which can often be wrong), the show is snippets & segments and there's not a good flow, and not a lot to really move me and connect me.  The props are a lot and not that effective for the ghastly amount of money that was likely spent on them. Most importantly, where's the volume.  It felt like the volume of the hornlike was turned down from a 10 with BD to a 5.  Mandarins, Troopers, BK, Academy all had a more powerful, richer sound than Boston, IMO. I hope my impressions go through the roof in a positive way as I get more live viewings, though!

BK - Was really hard to see them go on after BD & Boston.  The newbies were like, why did they go on last?  It really ended the whole show with a downer in their eyes.  I get going on last for home shows.  IMO, this needs to be done within reason.  If you were the not a top 12 corps last year, does it really make sense to go on last.  It saps the crowd energy that would have been better for BK if they'd gone on earlier.  There's no reason the encore can't still happen at the end of the show.  Enough of that rant, though.  Some really nice power from BK and a better show than last year.  Nothing close to the quality of design from PC, Academy or Troopers though, IMO.  Hopefully they can clean up the individual sound & marching issues and make a competitive push with PC for 12th.

Now on to the fun of my 3 Texas tour shows!  🙂

Harvey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

Now on to the fun of my 3 Texas tour shows!  🙂

Harvey

Fantastic write-up! As always. I very much appreciate these reviews from people that were at the show. 

• Like 2