Hostrauser's 2023 DCI Power Rankings - Week 1 (7/16)

HE LIVES!   Welcome back!  Glad to hear the fairly positive prognosis!  Given your avatar, I was remembering all the 'redundant organ removal' gags done to Zoidberg.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

When we last saw our intrepid hero, he was undergoing a battery of tests (some of which involved objects being shoved in uncomfortable areas). On August 1st, 2022 the verdict came back: stage 4 colorectal cancer that had metastasized to the liver. Not the news I was hoping for. I was three weeks shy of my 46th birthday. A large part of the past year has been spent in hospitals and cancer wards having gallons of poison injected into my body. The goal was to knock the cancer down enough that they could perform a bowel resection and remove part of my liver. Seventeen rounds of chemotherapy and one week of radiation later, tests in May, 2023 could not detect any signs of active cancer in my body. We actually overshot the goal: both of my oncological surgeons agreed that surgery was no longer necessary, at least not right now. In June we decided to shut down chemo to let my body recover. My next round of tests is in early August and, if those come back clean, I will officially be in remission. Far too early to say we've won the war, but the first major battle has gone as well as we could have hoped, literally a best case scenario. I thank you for all of your prayers and good thoughts. To the delight of some and the dismay of others, I don't intend on leaving any time soon.

So, in the words of Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force: "God has allowed me to live another day, and I'm about to make it everyone's problem."

In DCI, everyone is facing the usual perennial problem: how to catch up to the Blue Devils. Forget going undefeated: will Concord even lose a CAPTION this season? Also, while Vanguard is inactive, another corps is stepping up to try to ensure that California continues to have three finalist corps.

99.045 Blue Devils
96.742 Bluecoats
96.517 Boston Crusaders
96.180 Carolina Crown
93.180 Phantom Regiment
92.078 Mandarins
90.711 Cadets
89.567 Blue Stars
88.956 Cavaliers
87.689 Troopers
87.433 Colts
84.440 Pacific Crest
82.923 Crossmen
82.736 Blue Knights
82.571 Madison Scouts
82.121 Spirit of Atlanta
81.582 Academy
79.217 Music City
79.185 Blue Devils B
76.129 Gold
75.215 Genesis
74.731 Spartans
73.194 Jersey Surf
71.011 Golden Empire
68.106 Cascades
67.426 Impulse
66.947 Southwind
66.894 River City Rhythm
66.191 Vessel
64.830 The Battalion
64.468 7th Regiment
63.830 Guardians
61.947 Colt Cadets
60.095 Blue Devils C
59.726 Heat Wave
58.979 Raiders
TBD Les Stentors

Such great news.  I was back in MKE and CHI a couple weeks ago for Summerfest and Drum Corps and I was wondering how you were doing.  I am very glad to hear the news that no cancer is detected.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Welcome Back!!

For those of us with severe cases of CRS (can't remember ####), could you remind us how you get your results?

Please and Thank You!!

Blood tests, endoscopies, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans. I've had them all.

Oh, did you mean the drum corps scores? I enter the results into a spreadsheet loaded with formulas (formulae? forumulai? formica?). Only Wed-Sat scores are considered. The formulas compare the results against prior scoring margins to determine if the scores are progressing in a reasonable fashion of if they are jumping all over the place. Dampening or boosting factors are added to specific shows if they calculate significantly above or below other recent shows. Daily progressions are then calculated to give every corps a score for that day, even if they did not perform. Then I add a dash of magic (or bs, depending on your opinion) to get the final results, and extrapolate the weekly rating forward to guesstimate a season-ending score.

• Haha 4

That cold open on the response.....Should have just left it at that for both results!  😛

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, hostrauser said:

Blood tests, endoscopies, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans. I've had them all.

Oh, did you mean the drum corps scores? I enter the results into a spreadsheet loaded with formulas (formulae? forumulai? formica?). Only Wed-Sat scores are considered. The formulas compare the results against prior scoring margins to determine if the scores are progressing in a reasonable fashion of if they are jumping all over the place. Dampening or boosting factors are added to specific shows if they calculate significantly above or below other recent shows. Daily progressions are then calculated to give every corps a score for that day, even if they did not perform. Then I add a dash of magic (or bs, depending on your opinion) to get the final results, and extrapolate the weekly rating forward to guesstimate a season-ending score.

OOPS!! I meant the scores....... the other stuff is none of my business. I'm just happy to hear you're on the road to remission and wishing you the best going forward.

• Like 1