Allentown changes

the link below from an article in the latest issue of Drum Corps World highlights some changes at J. Birney Crum this year:

the marketplace will no longer be on the hill behind the scoreboard due to a construction project. it will now be down on Linden Street close to gate 1....wristbands will be required for re-entry if you go out during the show.

may not be funnel cakes...this IMO is criminal

some food vendors inside the stadium may not open. There will be food trucks on Linden Street as in last year, but looks like more options than last year

https://7b63075d.flowpaper.com/July142023weekly/?utm_campaign=july-14th&utm_medium=email&utm_source=acumbamail#page=58

• Like 2

I am glad I live in near Atlanta now and will not have to trek up that mountain(hill). I DO miss the funnel cakes though. The only real food vendors I used to  frequent were next to the upper stands...although those bathrooms were at the bottom of the mountain(hill)...

• Like 2

Allentown has always had its flaws. I could tell you stories!   Like the ground hogs living under the Upper Grandstand.

Unfortunately, new issues seem to arrive yearly.  But, like an old favorite, moth-bitten, sweater, it’s just too hard to let go. 

• Like 1

One possible solution would be a "wristband only lane".

If no one is using it, have the staff allow other people to use it.

I see that this was in the July 12,2023 edition of DCW.

I wonder when DCI found out about this ?

It would have been nice if DCI sent out an email to ticket holders.

Ken

I know it’s history and everything, but Allentown is probably the worst DCI venue I’ve ever attended. Even the acoustics suck due to the track and the seating room is not good. There are other venues that could probably host DCI East, but I imagine Allentown is the cheapest of them all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I know it’s history and everything, but Allentown is probably the worst DCI venue I’ve ever attended. Even the acoustics suck due to the track and the seating room is not good. There are other venues that could probably host DCI East, but I imagine Allentown is the cheapest of them all

I love Allentown and in some ways enjoy it more than Indy. I’ve also been to Atlanta but never San Antonio. What I enjoyed about Atlanta which I assume is also the case in San Antonio is the youthfulnness and enthusiasm of the crowd which differs from Allentown which tends to be more of a reunion atmosphere. It is my understanding that Allentown is practically pure profit for DCI. Use of the facility is reasonable, the volunteers have the show down to a science, and there’s ample places for get togethers. You could move it to let’s say Met Life Stadium or if you really wanted to go East, Gillette in Foxboro, MA. I don’t think the crowds would follow and I don’t think it would attract a new audience. If it became a one day event, you’d lose out on the reunion atmosphere, a two day event would be costly. I’m sure there would be other facilities that would be possible, but I don’t think it would work. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I love Allentown and in some ways enjoy it more than Indy. I’ve also been to Atlanta but never San Antonio. What I enjoyed about Atlanta which I assume is also the case in San Antonio is the youthfulnness and enthusiasm of the crowd which differs from Allentown which tends to be more of a reunion atmosphere. It is my understanding that Allentown is practically pure profit for DCI. Use of the facility is reasonable, the volunteers have the show down to a science, and there’s ample places for get togethers. You could move it to let’s say Met Life Stadium or if you really wanted to go East, Gillette in Foxboro, MA. I don’t think the crowds would follow and I don’t think it would attract a new audience. If it became a one day event, you’d lose out on the reunion atmosphere, a two day event would be costly. I’m sure there would be other facilities that would be possible, but I don’t think it would work. 

Yup, I unfortunately don’t think it will change anytime soon, but I wish it would. 

2 hours ago, Zanjero said:

As a vendor I will say this is not good for the vendors.

I don’t disagree but apparently there is some type of construction happening that’s caused this 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

One possible solution would be a "wristband only lane".

If no one is using it, have the staff allow other people to use it.

I see that this was in the July 12,2023 edition of DCW.

I wonder when DCI found out about this ?

It would have been nice if DCI sent out an email to ticket holders.

Ken

I’m sure dci knows. Now when did the Allentown committee know is a good question but I’m sure dci was fully involved in the marketplace situation