Allentown changes

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I know it’s history and everything, but Allentown is probably the worst DCI venue I’ve ever attended. Even the acoustics suck due to the track and the seating room is not good. There are other venues that could probably host DCI East, but I imagine Allentown is the cheapest of them all

The best “name” stadiums are real grass, logistical nightmares worse than Allentown and massively more expensive 

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Allentown has always had its flaws. I could tell you stories!   Like the ground hogs living under the Upper Grandstand.

Unfortunately, new issues seem to arrive yearly.  But, like an old favorite, moth-bitten, sweater, it’s just too hard to let go. 

Do you know what the project is? I did a web search and couldn’t find anything 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

The best “name” stadiums are real grass, logistical nightmares worse than Allentown and massively more expensive 

I don’t deny that, doesn’t make Allentown as a venue suck any less 

Allentown is just a few hours drive for me, but I just refuse to go because my experience is not good every single time. By contrast, the Atlanta regional last year was fantastic. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m sure dci knows. Now when did the Allentown committee know is a good question but I’m sure dci was fully involved in the marketplace situation 

Forgive me, but I don't know "hierarchy".

Is the "Allentown Committee" part of the DCI "umbrella"  ?

Jeff-  I do not know what is planned for up there. But, a few years ago, there was a request to build one of those metal ‘pole building’ equipment/storage sheds there. Every year, ASD stores more and more equipment and materials in that area. The amount is space left over for DCI use is about half what it once was.

rpbobcat- the Allentown local committee consists of about 75 volunteers, many who have served the event for several decades. They really know what they are doing and the DCI officials who arrive that weekend generally stay out of their way.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Jeff-  I do not know what is planned for up there. But, a few years ago, there was a request to build one of those metal ‘pole building’ equipment/storage sheds there. Every year, ASD stores more and more equipment and materials in that area. The amount is space left over for DCI use is about half what it once was.

rpbobcat- the Allentown local committee consists of about 75 volunteers, many who have served the event for several decades. They really know what they are doing and the DCI officials who arrive that weekend generally stay out of their way.

Yeah I knew space was shrinking. But fewer corps made it look less noticeable.

and that committee should run show host seminars for the activity at large

17 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Most DCI people is true. The exception is Tony DiCarlo throwing a temper tantrum to the Allentown people working along the track!

• Haha 1

I know there is a show every year in Annapolis at the Naval Academy, but I always thought that would be a great venue to host DCI East. But I am sure there are some logistical issues that I don't know about preventing it from happening. 

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I know there is a show every year in Annapolis at the Naval Academy, but I always thought that would be a great venue to host DCI East. But I am sure there are some logistical issues that I don't know about preventing it from happening. 

Mostly crowd size.  It's a relatively small venue.  Otherwise it's a fabulous stadium logistics-wise.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Annapolis is my "home" show, I usually go every year (though the past two years I have been living elsewhere, but I am now back in the area). It's a gorgeous venue with great acoustics, but it is on the smaller side. Not fit for a regional, unfortunately