This is a petition I made for DCI to return to PBS. https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-dci-on-pbs

17 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

You gonna put up the money to produce that kind of TV broadcast and buy the airtime? 

I thought that PBS was brought to us by members just like us? Thank you? Lol. I'm not sure that there is a cost for airtime with PBS, or at least there used to not be, because if that were the case then shows like Bob Ross and the like wouldn't have made it happen without sponsorships. I know my local state marching band championships used to be broadcast on our local PBS stations, and I'm pretty sure that the governing body never put forth any money for it to be aired. If the DCI sponsors could put forth a little more money, I think they could make things happen and get a broadcast going again.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I thought that PBS was brought to us by members just like us? Thank you? Lol. I'm not sure that there is a cost for airtime with PBS, or at least there used to not be, because if that were the case then shows like Bob Ross and the like wouldn't have made it happen without sponsorships. I know my local state marching band championships used to be broadcast on our local PBS stations, and I'm pretty sure that the governing body never put forth any money for it to be aired. If the DCI sponsors could put forth a little more money, I think they could make things happen and get a broadcast going again.

I think sponsors are probably satisfied with their marketing time now through Flo.  Why spend for a single broadcast when there are several opportunities afforded them with Flo throughout the season.  There is no ROI.

• Like 1

Flo currently PAYS DC (a large amount of money)I simply for the right(s) to stream their shows. Flo also handles as many of the rights to legally show groups after the fact. These rights are crazy expensive, can easily be north of $15k PER INDIVIDUAL SHOW.

Why would DCI turn down all that money, take on production costs, AND the copyright costs?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

You gonna put up the money to produce that kind of TV broadcast and buy the airtime? 

These online petitions are just there to make some people feel like they did something. It does nothing and now they can share your information.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I think sponsors are probably satisfied with their marketing time now through Flo.  Why spend for a single broadcast when there are several opportunities afforded them with Flo throughout the season.  There is no ROI.

I mean, with Flo you really only get two broadcasts, so it's not much of a difference. I don't know if the ads are still on the rebroadcast, as I've never watched the rebroadcasts.

I also typically don't have very many ads at all during each broadcast. Maybe 2 or 3 the entire show. I know people who are like "Another loud Flo ad!" while we're watching the same show and I will have absolutely nothing but no sound and a view of the field. 

25 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I mean, with Flo you really only get two broadcasts, so it's not much of a difference. I don't know if the ads are still on the rebroadcast, as I've never watched the rebroadcasts.

I also typically don't have very many ads at all during each broadcast. Maybe 2 or 3 the entire show. I know people who are like "Another loud Flo ad!" while we're watching the same show and I will have absolutely nothing but no sound and a view of the field. 

I don’t have Flo, but I assumed Flo has several Broadcasts over the touring season where there would be marketing opportunities for any sponsors like Pearl, Adams, FJM, Zildjan, and so on to be mentioned or to advertise or otherwise be acknowledged, versus a one time PBS broadcast, that may not garner much visibility. 
I cut cable for streaming and cut down on ads, but now it is almost as bad as cable was.  Marketers saw an opportunity.

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don’t have Flo, but I assumed Flo has several Broadcasts over the touring season where there would be marketing opportunities for any sponsors like Pearl, Adams, FJM, Zildjan, and so on to be mentioned or to advertise or otherwise be acknowledged, versus a one time PBS broadcast, that may not garner much visibility. 
I cut cable for streaming and cut down on ads, but now it is almost as bad as cable was.  Marketers saw an opportunity.

I mean, there's several broadcasts, but only 2 broadcasts of each show. Finals brings in the most I'm sure, so having it air on PBS would likely bring in a slew of viewers as well. I'm just trying to play devils advocate here against the "why would DCI" crowd. I'm sure I'm completely in the wrong. 

And yeah, I cut cable mid 2010s, started streaming, and now I have to pay extra for no ads. It's crazy.

For DCI, streaming via flo is pretty good. Like many of us, I re-subscribed yesterday with flo for the last month of the season. I thought last night’s streaming was pretty good - a definite improvement over years past. 
As for a broadcast on PBS, I’d prefer the live steam over a show host as PBS used to do it. Just give me the video and audio from the stadium. 

• Like 1