Cavies drumline

44 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Someone pointed out in another thread that Oakland Crusaders won 1st in drums at prelims but placed 14th. I’m not sure if it was 77 or 78. Bridgemen did the same in the mid 80’s, but for Oakland Crusaders for certain it was still the days of tics. This is probably the first time it has happened with subjective judging.

Thank you for that feedback Tim K. 

46 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Someone pointed out in another thread that Oakland Crusaders won 1st in drums at prelims but placed 14th. I’m not sure if it was 77 or 78. Bridgemen did the same in the mid 80’s, but for Oakland Crusaders for certain it was still the days of tics. This is probably the first time it has happened with subjective judging.

Did Phantom take drums in 2010 despite finishing 6th-7th?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

They are unreal right now. It's not even that they took 1st, it's that they took it by 0.3 over 2nd at that. Talk about a statement. And fully deserved to be honest.

Gret point!

20 hours ago, angelob said:

How is it that the Cavies place 8th in San Antonio but take high percussion????? Asking for a friend....

Cause the percussion judge judged their sheet and the show of the day 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, angelob said:

I've just never seen that before. I've been watching this activity for 6 decades! I'm not saying they didn't deserve to take high percussion, just trying to get some feedback from those who might have an idea. Just watched a Youtube video of their drumline and it was incredible! 

Missed Bridgemen in 82 then. Phantom was 6th in 2010

18 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Did Phantom take drums in 2010 despite finishing 6th-7th?

Yup. 99/99

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hughesmr said:

Also in a similar vein, 1984 Cadets won it all but I believe placed 9th in drums (or was it 83? Or both?).

Correct. We have seen the flip side of this as well. It was 1984. @Jeff Ream will no better than I but I think Cadets were 7th in field perc and 9th overall. Still won the show by .1 over a killer good Blue Devils corps. To me this would be difficult to pull off today. Even if you are top 3 in all other captions and sub captions, being that low in a major performance caption would push you down the ranks some. Also while 1984 was the first year for the build-up system vs the tic method, the guard was not part of the sheets. They were likely judged within the parameters of visual but there was no specific caption. It was definitely a different system than what we have today. Keep in mind, too, that Garfield had a revolutionary show that made up for the one weakness. 

Also, as good as the Cavaliers' percussion was in San Antonio, They performed better the night before in Houston.