Cavies drumline

Cavies battery and FE are #### clean, the book is full of content, the tuning is fantastic and they're staged VERY well for maximum score. Other lines in the top 6, especially BD and Bluecoats, need to clean and are not presented as well from what I see. That being said, I'm 1. Not a judge 2. I remember that most of the cleaning is really more muscle memory than anything and takes time to peak at just the right moment and 3. Not 100% sure that some of the absolutely FILTHY GOOD nuanced playing from other lines is being scored as well as I would expect 

On 7/24/2023 at 8:32 PM, angelob said:

How is it that the Cavies place 8th in San Antonio but take high percussion????? Asking for a friend....

I think it has something to do with the fact that last year's percussion arranger pushed out the rest of the design team and got what he wanted..... high drums and nothing else. Wondering if management is feeling like they back the wrong horse now?

7 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Had some fourth place corps win brass in recent memory... BD in 93, Madison in 95

Crown too I believe 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Algernon said:

I think it has something to do with the fact that last year's percussion arranger pushed out the rest of the design team and got what he wanted..... high drums and nothing else. Wondering if management is feeling like they back the wrong horse now?

Yeah cause Saucedo’s  a slouch 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yeah cause Saucedo’s  a slouch 

Of course not, but neither was Michael Martin (and his posse). 

And I'd also say that I liked any of Michael Martin's books over what Saucedo has written this year. (Only this year specifically)

• Like 1

Easy solution…bring back Michael Gaines. Throw him the reigns. Every show he designed for SCV could’ve easily translated to the Cavaliers. As much as I love the Cavaliers, I too am getting impatient with lackluster show designs and their development through the summer. 

Edited by GREENBLUE

4 hours ago, Algernon said:

Don’t think it was the design team more so than one individual in particular. that individual was not completely innocent either. 

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

No, but the new design team is clearly inferior to the one Mike MacIntosh couldn't get along with and drove out. They were no slouches either.

i loved Cavies in 19...not so much last year. i enjoy this year much more than last year, design flaws included. sometimes it takes a new team some time to gel. i'm not clutching pearls and the rosaries

On 7/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, Tim K said:

Someone pointed out in another thread that Oakland Crusaders won 1st in drums at prelims but placed 14th. I’m not sure if it was 77 or 78. Bridgemen did the same in the mid 80’s, but for Oakland Crusaders for certain it was still the days of tics. This is probably the first time it has happened with subjective judging.

Here's a little unknown fact about the 1977 Oakland Crusaders snare line (aka the crispy critters). One of our snare players was kicked out of the Corps halfway through the season, for an unknown reason. A week latter he was marching on Oakies snare line, right beside the center snare player. He finished the season with them and was able to be part of an historical snare line.

• Like 2