Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

31 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I have honestly been unable to truly get into a Boston show since 2016. Even before 2016, there are very few Boston shows that I personally enjoy from the 2000s. 

Everything from the ensemble sound of their hornline, the musical arrangements, their show designs, I just haven’t been a fan of it. 

Right?

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

As if the drum people I know are not experts? You dont clean up that much in one day. You simply do not. 

A bad run can happen one day and a good run can happen the day after. Besides, it’s all numbers management. A 20 doesn’t mean perfection, the spread between 1st and 2nd is what is relevant. The 20 is essentially the judge just giving BD an ordinal of 1. 

BD getting a 99.65 in 2014 doesn’t mean the show was 99.65% perfect. The relevant aspect is the spread and the strength of the corps below them. BD wouldn’t have scored as much as they did that year if it had not been for 

1. The field they were competing against being so strong 

2. Them being so much better than the rest of the field 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A bad run can happen one day and a good run can happen the day after. Besides, it’s all numbers management. A 20 doesn’t mean perfection, the spread between 1st and 2nd is what is relevant. The 20 is essentially the judge just giving BD an ordinal of 1. 

BD getting a 99.65 in 2014 doesn’t mean the show was 99.65% perfect. The relevant aspect is the spread and the strength of the corps below them. BD wouldn’t have scored as much as they did that year if it had not been for 

1. The field they were competing against being so strong 

2. Them being so much better than the rest of the field 

Well I have an issue with rank then rate, but that is a whole other ball of wax. However you don't go from not beating SCV all season to all of a sudden having a perfect night with no change in content score. Jeff Prosperie is not a bad judge, but he was wrong that night and his score (along with the predictable 20 from Chumlee) caused the wrong corps to win that year.

But you are fixating on this when you haven't read the rest of the post. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Well I have an issue with rank then rate, but that is a whole other ball of wax. However you don't go from not beating SCV all season to all of a sudden having a perfect night with no change in content score. Jeff Prosperie is not a bad judge, but he was wrong that night and his score (along with the predictable 20 from Chumlee) caused the wrong corps to win that year.

The bolded section is why i will not longer be engaging. Opinion is opinion, you are entitled to have it, but don’t present it as a fact. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I compared BD to genius American playwrights who aren't commercial successes, but Oscar winning movies are not often commercial successes either. Sure there is genius in their creation and those who love the artform will praise them, but they do not appeal to the masses. An Oscar winning film is not going to expand the movie industry, Top Gun and Barbie are. The same can be said for BD. 

I think we can also compare DCI to where Broadway musicals were in the 80's and early 90's. There was so much concentration on where the artform can go, nobody thought to consider the audience. 

To me it’s more like Woody Allen. I love his movie. Singular. It’s (almost) always brilliant.  Truly.

But at some point the jokes on you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I think your second point is important and not discussed nearly enough. Variations in the judging panel on any given night can be decisive as each judge brings his/her own lens to the performances on different nights. That to me is a great weakness in the judging process.