NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

Got to say, just joined when Cadets went on, but so far the sound quality on Flo is by far the best I've heard all season. Whoever is doing the mixing for this show needs to do every show.

• Thanks 1

What was that Show titled where they ride out onto the field with the bicycle and the guard incorporate  handlebars into their equipment work?

• Like 1

Top 11 in the current standings are all pretty darn good, small drop off in that 12-14 and the Spartans in Open Class currently hold the 12 position correct.

So many good shows.  

I am biased toward the Colts, my son plays Baritone, first year DCI.  To my untrained, un musical self I see that top 7 as very good both musically and Visually.  To me when I watch the Blue Devils there marching is so good, that is what I think makes them stand out.  To me the Cadets, Mandarins and Phantom are just fun to watch and a fun show.  I think Colts, Troopers, Blue Stars and Cavies are all that next tier. The top 11 is pretty set baring a disaster for one of the Corps.  That battle for 12 will be fun to watch in Prelims and Semis.  Can't wait to watch live in Indy.

I will say I thought the Colts Brass tonight may have sounded the best of any of there shows yet.  We will see what the judges think.

All these kids are amazing, such effort and skill regardless or Corps.

But Go Colts.....

• Like 5

Blue Stars, that's the cleanest I've seen that little flag wedge at the end of the opener.

5 hours ago, WarriorWay said:and feels just slightly off to me. 

I’ll be honest I do not like the coats show as I’m over the 60s genre. However, their sound is really polished and what this design team can achieve is just incredible from a staging and entertainment perspective. I do think the trombone stuff after that amazing ballad feels odd tonality wise since the rest of the book is so clean and precise soundscape wise. 

This Bluecoats show is really growing on me. I love the ballad and Bump is my favorite song of the season so far.   But, while the flowers do project a 60’s vibe, the William Blake poem this show is based on was first published in 1794. Just say’n. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jnecker said:

Top 11 in the current standings are all pretty darn good, small drop off in that 12-14 and the Spartans in Open Class currently hold the 12 position correct.

So many good shows.  

I am biased toward the Colts, my son plays Baritone, first year DCI.  To my untrained, un musical self I see that top 7 as very good both musically and Visually.  To me when I watch the Blue Devils there marching is so good, that is what I think makes them stand out.  To me the Cadets, Mandarins and Phantom are just fun to watch and a fun show.  I think Colts, Troopers, Blue Stars and Cavies are all that next tier. The top 11 is pretty set baring a disaster for one of the Corps.  That battle for 12 will be fun to watch in Prelims and Semis.  Can't wait to watch live in Indy.

I will say I thought the Colts Brass tonight may have sounded the best of any of there shows yet.  We will see what the judges think.

All these kids are amazing, such effort and skill regardless or Corps.

But Go Colts.....

No chance the Spartans will be 12th. Once they get into the mix, they will probably end up around the Scouts. 12th is likely between Crossmen, BK and PC. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dunno if that Bari player is aging out but when he does, I'm gonna miss his solos.  Dang.  His sound just totally captures the elegance that is Blue Stars' signature brass sound now.   Since 2014 they've kept growing this sound that is just...lovely

• Like 2