Flo versus Reality

"veneer sound" is such a good way of putting it.  the trend is going to grow, unfortunately.  it's gone from being a cool ensemble effect here and there to being a ubiquitous easy fix to what used to be an onus of discipline and work on human performers. the sad thing for me is that the talent of musicians right now across the board is simply incredible.

a little analogous to what Cher did with "Believe" with autotune to create a synthetic sound, but look at the majority of the top 40 pop charts right now.  autotune in every song to the point where you can't even tell it's a human singing anymore.  

i'll treasure what i'm hearing from crown and bloo and some other corps for as long as i can.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Lance said:

"veneer sound" is such a good way of putting it.  the trend is going to grow, unfortunately.  it's gone from being a cool ensemble effect here and there to being a ubiquitous easy fix to what used to be an onus of discipline and work on human performers. the sad thing for me is that the talent of musicians right now across the board is simply incredible.

a little analogous to what Cher did with "Believe" with autotune to create a synthetic sound, but look at the majority of the top 40 pop charts right now.  autotune in every song to the point where you can't even tell it's a human singing anymore.  

i'll treasure what i'm hearing from crown and bloo and some other corps for as long as i can.  

I left Cavaliers out of the original post because I’m a cardcarrying Homer. I enjoyed Troop and Cavaliers “sound” more than any others last night. Not focused on the book or execution. Just the tone of the hornline. I know Cavaliers aren’t mic’ing individuals. I believe they’re having soloists come to mics. And no shotgun mics. I have no idea what Troop is doing but the live sound was phenomenal. 

I’ll concede that the top 4 hornlines are crushing it as players…Crown and Boston sounded the most “real” from the top of the stadium of those 4. 

Phantom needs to re-evaluate their mic’d brass strategy from the bottom up. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Cavaliers sounded “distant” audio wise on Flo than what I heard live last night.  Have no real idea why. I do know there’s no brass full ensemble mix in their PA, but not sure what that means compared to Flo mic placement/mixing. 

Last time I spent much time watching Flo (2021), they were starting to accept feeds directly from the sound boards of the corps.  The balance of that processed sound varied tremendously from corps to corps, and from event to event.  I suspect it is still that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Last time I spent much time watching Flo (2021), they were starting to accept feeds directly from the sound boards of the corps.  The balance of that processed sound varied tremendously from corps to corps, and from event to event.  I suspect it is still that way.

Makes sense. Thanks! 

7 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

It sounds better in stereo than in 5.1

I've got a 9.4 horn driven system purpose built to listen to drum corps.  I want to hear dynamics, I want to hear snare drums CRACK, I want to hear the sonic difference between baris and tubas and I want to hear LOUD.  My Denon AVR X67H w/Emotiva XPA-5 amp @250 wpc does the processing using Neural-X mode which gives me the Front Heights, a similar sound to the L/R. 

I typically run 5.1 + a couple of Rear Surrounds and Front Heights to get to 9.4 (four subs).  I really like the Front Heights because they add a 3D sound.  Tonight I disconnected the Surround Rears because they produce virtually no content useful to a drum corps show.

I've experimented with 2.0 in the past with the Blu-ray disc (BD).  Even on the BD's with All speakers Stereo I get a more aggressive sound, a very good sound than with 5.1.

I think I'll try Stereo and All Speakers Stereo again, in your honor.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1