Flo versus Reality

Re: Flo and the mixing boards of the various corps

I can easily hear when the board mixers are loudly mixed.  I can also see when the thunderous goo is OVER amplified because my 3000 watt subwoofer amp lights up when it clips.  Boston by far does the the most (ie worst) for the Wellerman tuba solo and tuba section feature.  No other corps pushes my sub amps like that.  Just during that one section my amp lights up like a Christmas tree and stays juiced for at least another minute until the board operator turns it down.

I can get the Flo sound LOUD, once measured at 100 db.  Even for me, that's too loud.  80 to 90 db is plenty.

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I've got a 9.4 horn driven system purpose built to listen to drum corps.  I want to hear dynamics, I want to hear snare drums CRACK, I want to hear the sonic difference between baris and tubas and I want to hear LOUD.  My Denon AVR X67H w/Emotiva XPA-5 amp @250 wpc does the processing using Neural-X mode which gives me the Front Heights, a similar sound to the L/R. 

I typically run 5.1 + a couple of Rear Surrounds and Front Heights to get to 9.4 (four subs).  I really like the Front Heights because they add a 3D sound.  Tonight I disconnected the Surround Rears because they produce virtually no content useful to a drum corps show.

I've experimented with 2.0 in the past with the Blu-ray disc (BD).  Even on the BD's with All speakers Stereo I get a more aggressive sound, a very good sound than with 5.1.

I think I'll try Stereo and All Speakers Stereo again, in your honor.

What’s your experience with correlating a live show you’ve seen with the Flo version of the same show? 

From doing this exercise instead of watching Nightbeat ( which I’ll now watch tonight) I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. A couple of the corps ( including my Cavaliers) didn’t sound as dynamic on Flo as they did live in stadium. 

And some sounded better! Including Crown, BD, and Boston. I mean they were amazing live but on the edge of overwhelming. 

As previously noted, Phantom needs to look at their amplification strategy as a whole. Both in house and on Flo the horn sound is a synthetic electronic veneer. They’re doing some mighty fine playing for the sound man to end up controlling what the audience hears. Folks in the lower rows probably heard real horns. I couldn’t… I was on back row 50. Even pulled out a dosimeter app on my phone. Phantom was 92 dB on the very top edge of the stadium. 

Edited by PopcornEater1963

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Re: Flo and the mixing boards of the various corps

I can easily hear when the board mixers are loudly mixed.  I can also see when the thunderous goo is OVER amplified because my 3000 watt subwoofer amp lights up when it clips.  Boston by far does the the most (ie worst) for the Wellerman tuba solo and tuba section feature.  No other corps pushes my sub amps like that.  Just during that one section my amp lights up like a Christmas tree and stays juiced for at least another minute until the board operator turns it down.

I can get the Flo sound LOUD, once measured at 100 db.  Even for me, that's too loud.  80 to 90 db is plenty.

So what do your neighbors think of this year's shows? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

So what do your neighbors think of this year's shows? 

My neighbors don't know anything about the shows. 

But they are very familiar with Flo's commercials. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This is the first year I have noticed Flo putting mics in front of the speakers for each corp. 

was interesting to see some corps used shotgun mics on the sidelines and some didn't

I was going to rewatch Nightbeat tonight to see how different the are compared to in person. 

I have not noticed much thunderous goo on flo, compared to what I heard last night

Edited by gjramsey

5 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Phantom mics their tubas but doesn't use field mics or individual mics on the rest of the horn line. JD Shaw did the same thing at SCV. If it sounds synthetic outside of the Tubas...that's just how they sound...

Thanks for that info! So when I saw 16 wireless receivers in Lisle it was all tubas? 

17 minutes ago, gjramsey said:

This is the first year I have noticed Flo putting mics in front of the speakers for each corp. 

was interesting to see some corps used shotgun mics on the sidelines and some didn't

I was going to rewatch Nightbeat tonight to see how different the are compared to in person. 

I have not noticed much thunderous goo on flo, compared to what I heard last night

This might explain why I hear what I hear from Cavaliers. They are only mic’ing soloists. With no shotguns. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to discount what you heard up high, but I was down on the 8th row, 50 yard line at Denton and didn’t get any sense of Regiment projecting the hornline out of speakers. All I experienced was “real”, hair parting (well, if you still have yours) wall of sound. Even in SA, where I was at the front of the upper deck (still good position), I still didn’t get that impression. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, gjramsey said:

Do you use subwoofers?  I can hear it via Flo but that could also be how I have my subs set up, maybe too hot.

I do know the sub arrays on the sidelines are waaay too hot, especially if you're sitting in their direct path.