100.0. Could it happen?

13 hours ago, TOC said:

I forgot about that slotting option of captions.  Thanks.

Not slotting at all. It’s about making sure the ranking and rating is right. If corps x gets a 95, but it turns out they were better than some else that got a 95, you go back and give them a 96

12 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I have been complaining about this since WGI when a group got a 20 in visual even though a bass drummer fell down. The scoring system only makes sense to those who created it and who administer it. From the outside looking in you are 100% correct, but it's more about the ordinals and spreads than having a number value that can be applied consistently.

As suggested before pick up a tablet get competition suite and give it a try. As judging philosophy has been spelled out for you time and time again if you don’t try it you’ll continue to swing at the windmill and miss

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sensioto said:

In 2014, Blue Devils won with a 99.65 - that score was comprised of 40/40 points in General Effect, 30/30 points in Visual, and 29.65/30 points in Music. 

I can see how a corps receives full marks in Visual. I can also see how a corps can max out GE, given other corps "pushing up" the performance level, as some of you say. But, to my knowledge, no corps has ever had a full mark in the Music caption, and I think it should stay that way. It seems nearly impossible to have a perfect Music run on any given night. Music is the most technical caption and hence provides the most space for human error. Laying down a 10/10 in brass or percussion? Sure. We've seen it happen. But both? I do not think a judge, in good conscious, could put down a full mark score for the entire Music caption.

Cadets 87 percussion had the 10’s across the board

11 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Fair enough. IOW, it’s even more effed than I thought. Good to know. 

How is that effed? Why compress numbers artificially just because you put a score down and move on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

How is that effed? Why compress numbers artificially just because you put a score down and move on?

Because one then has to magically remember two hours later. It’s literally impossible. Better would be to do exactly what the sheets are designed to do: in real-time, check the verbiage against the box and assign a number. Submit instantly. Then let the chips fall. The activity’s insistence on rank is ridiculous. If one REALLY did this, we’d have lower scores, since in reality, no drum corps really achieves at these “upper box levels” (perfection is not achievable IMO, and no one even comes close, as described on the sheets)

Let’s be real: even if it worked like I thought it should, judges would still keep notes, and try to assign lower numbers to a later corps, if they believed the earlier corps was “better,” REGARDLESS of the sheets!!! (IOW, they’d ignore the sheets anyway, which I claim they do now, lol)

All of that said, just rank them, average the rankings, and announce the final order…forget the scores altogether. Use sheets/numbers merely as a guide for personal organization, but don’t bother publishing them…they are MEANINGLESS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

Because one then has to magically remember two hours later. It’s literally impossible. Better would be to do exactly what the sheets are designed to do: in real-time, check the verbiage against the box and assign a number. Submit instantly. Then let the chips fall. The activity’s insistence on rank is ridiculous. If one REALLY did this, we’d have lower scores, since in reality, no drum corps really achieves at these “upper box levels” (perfection is not achievable IMO, and no one even comes close, as described on the sheets)

Let’s be real: even if it worked like I thought it should, judges would still keep notes, and try to assign lower numbers to a later corps, if they believed the earlier corps was “better,” REGARDLESS of the sheets!!! (IOW, they’d ignore the sheets anyway, which I claim they do now, lol)

All of that said, just rank them, average the rankings, and announce the final order…forget the scores altogether. Use sheets/numbers merely as a guide for personal organization, but don’t bother publishing them…they are MEANINGLESS.

honestly lets look at this year...Cavies smoke at finals in percussion so you go 97/97. Boston smokes, but Cavies were better....to get the rank and rate you go 98/98 for Cavies and give Boston the 97/97. by putting the 97/97 down early you leave yourself wiggle room, but by judging the show of the day, you have the felxibility to make adjustments.

and it's ot like every judge does this every day, but the option is there. having judged for years under "you live with what you put down", having the ability to make some adjustments here and there had me feeling better about my end results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Hopkins advocated for just using ordinals instead of scores. That didn't make it through the membership votes if it even made it that far into the process...

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

As suggested before pick up a tablet get competition suite and give it a try. As judging philosophy has been spelled out for you time and time again if you don’t try it you’ll continue to swing at the windmill and miss

I understand the philosophy. I am just saying that it has holes and goes against basic intuition.