Whale Watching Tour Lawrence, MA August 3, 2023 (DCI East Coast Show Case)

IMG-4989.jpgFinal thoughts now that I’m back home. Overall what a great summer night of drumcorps!!

1. Best lineup in a small show I could ask for!
2. Not sure I like the new BAC ending; killing the whale then picking her up but I love the rest of their show so I guess it’s all good. They have really stepped up the guard rewrites too! Boston is fighting hard to chase the top and are strong in all categories.  

3. Mandarins have such a great show and I’m lucky I got to see it in person. The ending will get the crowd at Indy fired up. Sad I won’t be there this year  

4. Phantom is one of my fav shows this season and it was great to see them live. The tarps really make a difference in this show’s visual and I can’t believe I’m saying that but I missed them tonight. I really liked the two times they come to the front sideline and around the pit. It helped I was right on the 40! Also shout out to their really nice guard members I was chatting with at the store. 

5. I still like last year’s Bloo show more with the wheels and Keytar but there is no denying the swagger and skills everyone on that field has! They ooze with confidence! 

6. My friend was with me and has seen some before but mostly a rookie. His votes are:

Loudest brass: Phantom

Best drums: Boston

Most WOW show: Mandarins 

Most “butterflies” 🤣: Bloo

His favorite: Phantom  

Edited by Den8uml
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Best part of the 5-7 battle is those are 3 of my favorite shows this year so getting to see them in a row and having them throw haymakers at each other all the way through Indy will be a joy and Highlight of our finals experience! 

As will seeing PC in Lucas Oil and putting a finishing touch on this amazing season regardless of if they make Saturday or not!

Too early to say but it could be 5-8, not 5-7..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tommynev said:

Too early to say but it could be 5-8, not 5-7..

I agree.  Cavaliers got something to say.  They left 8th place island and are swimming towards the 5 to 7 group and away from the 9 to 11 group.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Final thoughts now that I’m back home  

Overall what a great summer night of drumcorps!!

1. Best lineup in a small show I could ask for!
2. Not sure I like the new BAC ending; killing the whale then picking her up but I love the rest of their show so I guess it’s all good. They have really stepped up the guard rewrites too! Boston is fighting hard to chase the top and are strong in all categories.  

3. Mandarins have such a great show and I’m lucky I got to see it in person. The ending will get the crowd at Indy fired up. Sad I won’t be there this year  

4. Phantom is one of my fav shows this season and it was great to see them live. The tarps really make a difference in this show’s visual and I can’t believe I’m saying that but I missed them tonight. I really liked the two times they come to the front sideline and around the pit. It helped I was right on the 40! Also shout out to their really nice guard members I was chatting with at the store. 

5. I still like last year’s Bloo show more with the wheels and Keytar but there is no denying the swagger and skills everyone on that field has! They ooze with confidence! 

6. My friend was with me and has seen some before but mostly a rookie. His votes are:

Loudest brass: Phantom

Best drums: Boston

Most WOW show: Mandarins 

Most butterflies: Bloo

His favorite: Phantom  

Boston has a new ending? Oh sweet! Please do tell. 

Edited by blakman7

16 minutes ago, blakman7 said:

Boston has a new ending? Oh sweet! Please do tell. 

Also big changes to part 3, the shanty section.  Made a bigger guard feature and brass is restaged and punchier. Couldn’t do the complete new ending because of the wind tonight.  Those folks who were at the ensemble rehearsal before the show got to see it. So, you’ll all have to wait until Atown, Sat. 

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LabMaster said:

Also big changes to part 3, the shanty section.  Made a bigger guard feature and brass is restated and punchier. Couldn’t do the complete new ending because of the wind tonight.  Those folks who were at the ensemble rehearsal before the show got to see it. So, you’ll all have to wait until Atown, Sat. 

The new guard feature was great. 

• Like 2

I was at the show.  Boston spent the past 3 days putting in substantial changes to the end of Part 3 and the end of Part 5.  Also, the guard tonight went with their "wind version" of their book.  There is a surprise at the end of the show which although I watched them rehearse this afternoon they did NOT put our there tonight due to  that wind.   Having said that, this was BAC'S best show of the year!  On to Allentown...

• Like 9

Just now, craiga said:

I was at the show.  Boston spent the past 3 days putting in substantial changes to the end of Part 3 and the end of Part 5.  Also, the guard tonight went with their "wind version" of their book.  There is a surprise at the end of the show which although I watched them rehearse this afternoon they did NOT put our there tonight due to  that wind.   Having said that, this was BAC'S best show of the year!  On to Allentown...

When I said new ending tonight, I was just referencing how they changed the spear throw, then killed the whale at the end and picked her up and flexed on the final beat. That was new to me and new since San Antonio but I missed Atlanta because I was on a vacation so maybe it was shown there. 

One negative I had with Mandarins, Phantom and Bloo was what I felt was a lack of dynamic balance brass wise.  It is like they were all trying to out loud the other.  Many sections were just loud.  No variety of dynamics.  I like loud, but this to me, felt like a lot.  Too much.  I can appreciate power, but not so much of it in each show.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

When I said new ending tonight, I was just referencing how they changed the spear throw, then killed the whale at the end and picked her up and flexed on the final beat. That was new to me and new since San Antonio but I missed Atlanta because I was on a vacation so maybe it was shown there. 

There’s more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1