Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

28 minutes ago, craiga said:

Actually,  if you read today's article on dci.org regarding Boston, DCI IS in fact saying just that,  and prominently brings up the fact that Boston is now 3 tenths behind BD.  Their words...not mine. 

Hey it’s a free world. Think what you want. I’ll be proven right in everything I said in less than a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Not challenging you, but if the scores are comparable between the two nights, does that mean Allentown is the only show where judges can't go back and change their individual caption scores once everyone has performed?

I say that because I learned earlier this season judges now have that capability to do that. For example.......Corps A performs first and gets an 18.5 in brass, Corps B goes last, judge feels Corps A was better in brass and he can now go back and change their initial brass score he had given them earlier in the evening.

But with night one's scores in the books, do the judges resort back to the old way and "leave room" for night two?

Am I incorrect, or is there a key component I am missing? 

Thanks you.

Yeah at every other competition, the judges have the ability to go back before submitting it all at the end to adjust their numbers. For Allentown, they could adjust the Friday corps until they submitted everything at the end of the show Friday. For Saturday, they had their Friday numbers to reference and could adjust just the Saturday corps scores throughout the night until they were done at the end to fit in with the Friday numbers. Are there some spots where maybe the judge "trapped" themselves into a smaller range than they would have liked? Yeah most likely but it is what it is. Most judges are experienced enough that it doesn't happen all the time. BOA judges have the same struggle at Super Regionals and Grand Nationals.

They'll also run into this "problem" at Prelims and Semis as they release scores after each block of corps during the intermissions. So they can adjust the scores until that intermission then that block of corps has their scores locked in for the night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

Yeah at every other competition, the judges have the ability to go back before submitting it all at the end to adjust their numbers. For Allentown, they could adjust the Friday corps until they submitted everything at the end of the show Friday. For Saturday, they had their Friday numbers to reference and could adjust just the Saturday corps scores throughout the night until they were done at the end to fit in with the Friday numbers. Are there some spots where maybe the judge "trapped" themselves into a smaller range than they would have liked? Yeah most likely but it is what it is. Most judges are experienced enough that it doesn't happen all the time. BOA judges have the same struggle at Super Regionals and Grand Nationals.

They'll also run into this "problem" at Prelims and Semis as they release scores after each block of corps during the intermissions. So they can adjust the scores until that intermission then that block of corps has their scores locked in for the night.

Got it! Awesome info and thanks for breaking that down for me!

46 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Seriously? I came at you with respect and was literally just picking your brain as to how certain things work in this activity as you clearly have more knowledge than I do, as does most people on this forum. 

I never marched, and I depend on many people on DCP to teach me the intricates of drum corps, which is something I have done for years on this site. 

BTW, my son's corps performed on night two, and right now that's where my main priorities are. 

My apologies for asking you questions. God Bless you and have a wonderful weekend. 

You’re plenty knowledgable. We will see come next Saturday that the top 4 corps are not within 0.5 of each other regardless of what the Allentown scores say. 

Edited by Vuitton

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

Actually,  if you read today's article on dci.org regarding Boston, DCI IS in fact saying just that,  and prominently brings up the fact that Boston is now 3 tenths behind BD.  Their words...not mine. 

Great. The words of an organization that think you can hold one show over two nights really holds a lot of value. Huge LOL. 

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Got it! Awesome info and thanks for breaking that down for me!

Mrs Guns says enough with you playing with your online buddies. She needs you to do laundry and pack before you leave to go see Little Guns do his thing in Indy! 🤣

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Mrs Guns says enough with you playing with your online buddies. She needs you to do laundry and pack before you leave to go see Little Guns do his thing in Indy! 🤣

No way! I don't know many guys whose wife approves of the way they do laundry and instead will just say "get out of here! Just let me do it!" when the guy even tries to help.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Hey it’s a free world. Think what you want. I’ll be proven right in everything I said in less than a week.

For someone who claims to not be Poppycock, you sure as hell act a lot like him.

You might want to re-evaluate your approach, Poppy...your...I can't say that here...is showing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

No way! I don't know many guys whose wife approves of the way they do laundry and instead will just say "get out of here! Just let me do it!" when the guy even tries to help.

Wifey would always pack my seabag and tactical gear when I left for deployments. Amazing how much space I had when she did it. 

Fast forward to when it was time to come home, but she wasn't there to pack anything, I think I actually gave away stuff cause I couldn't get it all to fit lol. There is probably some Iraqi kid walking around in my cammies right now LMAO.

• Haha 2