Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

4 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Do you mean at least he doesn't joke about skin cancer... twice. 

Well with the PA I couldn’t hear anything.

but I’ve heard Frans jokes a lot…

Liahona is spot-on. That venue is magic for performers and one of the best reminders we have of the drum corps community. So many traditions have changed, and I am fine with that. But the Allentown tradition --- the spirit and energy that the crowd generates -- is priceless. I doubt that would be possible elsewhere. My experience on tour confirms that.

• Like 2

There is nothing inherently "dated" about J. Birney Crum Stadium.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  There is literally no venue of which I am aware which provides the spectator opportunities that you find in Allentown.   I have been there more than two dozen times, and the ability to stroll through the park and listen to drum lines and brass lines warm up, talk with friends old and new, and simply enjoy the two nights of the event are unparalleled.   Is there a nostalgic element to this venue for older fans?  Of course....but earlier in my career I used to bring some of my high school band kids to Allentown, many of whom eventually marched drum corps and now in their 40s, they frequently speak about how the Allentown experience changed the trajectory of their lives. 

A quick story: one year, sometime in the mid 90s,  I brought a van full of my students to this event in what was their first show.  We found ourselves at BD's rehearsal across town.  Of the six kids I brought, the youngest of the group was 12.  This kid could not stop watching BD drum major James Gulke.  During the 7 hour trip back to Maine at the end of the weekend,  he said "I'm going to be HIM someday".  Years later, this same kid marched 5 years in BAC (including 2000) and aged out....you guessed it, on the podium for Boston.

My work here is done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, craiga said:

A quick story: one year, sometime in the mid 90s,  I brought a van full of my students to this event in what was their first show.  We found ourselves at BD's rehearsal across town.  Of the six kids I brought, the youngest of the group was 12.  This kid could not stop watching BD drum major James Gulke.  During the 7 hour trip back to Maine at the end of the weekend,  he said "I'm going to be HIM someday".  Years later, this same kid marched 5 years in BAC (including 2000) and aged out....you guessed it, on the podium for Boston.

My work here is done.

On behalf of all drum corps MMS and fans, thank you to you and all Band Directors for opening our eyes to drum corps.  My Band Director was quite encouraging with respect to drum corps, and the reason many of my peers and I marched.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 90svet said:

On behalf of all drum corps MMS and fans, thank you to you and all Band Directors for opening our eyes to drum corps.  My Band Director was quite encouraging with respect to drum corps, and the reason many of my peers and I marched.

On a somewhat related note, exposure to shows has quite an impact, just as attending your first {insert favorite sport} game.

I remember attending a clinic in Allentown with SCV brass line, and playing with the SCV horn line as part of the clinic.  It was the late 80s, during some of the most iconic SCV shows.  To a high school band student, this was a remarkable experience, amazed to be able to stand next to members of such an iconic and successful organization.  It's interesting that how as a kid, we looked up to these MMs, and now we are on DCP referring to MMs as "kids".

3 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Liahona is spot-on. That venue is magic for performers and one of the best reminders we have of the drum corps community. So many traditions have changed, and I am fine with that. But the Allentown tradition --- the spirit and energy that the crowd generates -- is priceless. I doubt that would be possible elsewhere. My experience on tour confirms that.

JBC…. She don’t lie?

I guess either:

1. DCI should stop considering Allentown one show, or

2. People shouldn’t listen to DCI if they keep considering Allentown one show.