DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

I mostly adore this PR show. I’m not sure that their approach to non-marching movement is always working in their favor … I want it cleaner. But I really love the music book this year. 

12 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Phantom seems AMPLIFIED. In Atlanta it was overbearing. 

Loudest synth bass by a mile. It’s weird, they didn’t have this problem at all last year. 🫤

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Excellent power Phantom from all sections.

Just want to say that it will always feel strange to me for designers to put that much sparkle and sequins on grown adults. Phantom, I'll allow it this year but I'ma need you to pull back on that in the future. 🙃

Y’all would have been stunned by Carmel HS in 1987. Our director said, “looks like they sprayed them in glue and marched them through the Nashville sequin mines.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, 27Socal said:

Ready for some devil rotisserie.

LMAO. 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If it was as unbalanced as you say, don’t you think that this would be the first thing the judges mention during critique after each competition? What makes you think they wouldn’t correct it if it was truly a problem expressed by the judges? 

It is a problem from the overall effect of the music. Would be better with the Horns and less amp. Who cares about the judges though? The show has pop and effect  

10 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

Is it me or have they upped the tempo?

Not sure about that, but it does remind me of a humorous anecdote from 98 that involved BK and Phantom alike.  After the season and after long last, we finally got the CDs in the mail.  Phantom and BK were the first two on the 2nd disc.  Of course, I went to play BKs first.  Our opener was 192bpm (Shostakovich #10) and I listened to it and was like "holy #### we sound AMAZING!!!"  Long story short, DCI messed up when they dubbed the master onto the 2nd disc and it sped everyone's show up by like 8%.  So when I heard our opener again for the first time in months, I was listening to it at approximately 208bpm.  Then DCI mailed us out new copies with the corrected tempos and it was...kinda deflating lol.

Never forget hearing that sped up Opener the first time.  It was like the episode of Friends where Pheobe's voice gets dubbed over by a professional singer for the Smelly Cat commercial.  Whoops.