DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

4 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I literally just laid out the path in my last post. 

BD is not losing the Gold. A half point spread over these three shows tells you that the judges simply see them as better.

All of the other top three shows will receive final score akin to many if not most Gold medal shows of the past two decades. BD is just a half point better than the rest of DCI right now.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

We can go on and on and back and forth about this, but it's obvious we just won't agree. Enjoy the shows and I will too. It's a great year (best in years IMO) regardless of who wins and who doesn't.

Edited by Vuitton

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

It is possible for a Corps other than BD to win, but several very specific moving parts need to align.   BD controls its own destiny- if they perform well, then they win.  For Crown/BC/BAC to win they will need BD to stumble, perform the best show of their lives, as well as have other scoring combinations to happen within the group.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Might as well be telling Crown, Bloo, and Boston to roll over and accept their fate. Competing against the understand unbeatable Devils simply isn't worth it.

Good luck with that.

I see no real weaknesses in any of the top four. I don’t expect any of the other three to not perform their best. But to win BD has to have an obvious fail. A tear, a key drop or three, tonality on a solo. It could happen, but when has that ever happened in the past 20 years for BD?

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I’m asking you, is this now akin to the crown set? 

Considering that in the past 15 years, they’ve done that style of closer in 12 of those 15 years (2011, 2012, and 2018 being the only exceptions), I would say so

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Considering that in the past 15 years, they’ve done that style of closer in 12 of those 15 years (2011, 2012, and 2018 being the only exceptions), I would say so

Then I could successfully argue that there are about a half dozen of these now, including the second act ballad that is a known pop favorite, with brass bunched together in a small form stage right.

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is possible for a Corps other than BD to win, but several very specific moving parts need to align.   BD controls its own destiny- if they perform well, then they win.  For Crown/BC/BAC to win they will need BD to stumble, perform the best show of their lives, as well as have other scoring combinations to happen within the group.  

Yeah again, respectfully I don't think that's true. 

One of the MA judges already thinks Crown was the best last night, as did the brass judge, but they were dumped to 4th by the other MA judge looking at the same show. This is simply how those judges saw the same show, on the same night. Had that MA judge put them in 1st like the other, or even 2nd, they would have won music outright. Same with GE to a slightly different degree. 

It's going to depend hard on the panel, and what they personally see on finals night.