DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS SEMIFINALS

18 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I was there until Vespertine. I will still listen to her, but I dont follow as closely. Post is my favorite album. The influence from Tricky made that album pop. Oh to be in my 20s again

contrafart you are full of surprises 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

contrafart you are full of surprises 

I could tell you about my trip hop phase. Or that I can play and sing a few Ben Folds songs. I am all over the place man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkHornGA said:

As a creative purist, that is the stance that I would hope corps and designers would take. However, It all depends upon what is most incentivized within each organization. This is true across all types of organizations. If winning becomes the goal, then creative purity could become the sacrificial lamb. If winning means more merchandise sales, more donations, more ticket sales, more notoriety...then winning trumps innovative show design unless that's what wins. Today, that's what wins.

If high-stepping technique was 50% of the score sheet don’t you think corps that want to win would shift their philosophy? I know that's outlandish, but I think you get my point. 

I agree that on the field performance should carry the most weight. I believe every corps should place preparing these kids for success and teaching them to create and innovate above every other goal. But I'm not in those rooms and I don't know what motivates every individual. My experience tells me that when you mix creativity and competition, it tends to lose some of its purity. 

Recruiting trumps all scoring systems.  The only thing that really matters is how much your show appeals to kids who are in a position to join the corps.  Many of them want to take home hardware, yes, but show design and execution attract talent.  BD has both in spades.  If you want to knock them off the throne, do recruiting better than they do for 5-10 years. 

7 minutes ago, Sully said:

Recruiting trumps all scoring systems.  The only thing that really matters is how much your show appeals to kids who are in a position to join the corps.  Many of them want to take home hardware, yes, but show design and execution attract talent.  BD has both in spades.  If you want to knock them off the throne, do recruiting better than they do for 5-10 years. 

I would venture to say that member experience is beginning to trump hardware or show design. Kids are smarter these days then I was in that regard.

Although admittedly, show design and design staff was a big reason I didn't return to Santa Clara in the mid otts for my final two seasons. That coupled with member experience killed it for me, even as young person. Broke my young heart.

Guess I just mean to say it's not just design. And IMHO, these things are highly interrelated.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sully said:

I disagree with your premise. Especially in brass and drums (in which BD is 4th) The talent an execution of the top 4 corps are relatively the same. Recruiting is not the issue here. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sully said:

There’s more than enough top talent to go around, so I don’t think this is an edge that BD has over others. There’s no way you can say, for eg, that BD’s brass recruitment trumps Crown Brass’s legacy, or that BD’s guard legacy trumps student excitement to be a part of what’s going on at BAC. They all have equally talented members who have their own reasons for finding each corps to be a fit. 

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

There’s more than enough top talent to go around, so I don’t think this is an edge that BD has over others. There’s no way you can say, for eg, that BD’s brass recruitment trumps Crown Brass’s legacy, or that BD’s guard legacy trumps student excitement to be a part of what’s going on at BAC. They all have equally talented members who have their own reasons for finding each corps to be a fit. 

This comports with the theory that DxN ([design] x [recruitment volume], a proxy for talent) = ultimate placement. Talent being roughly equal (within tiers, anyway), competitive placement comes down to show design. DCI competitive success is a designer's plaything; the kids sign up for the experience and try to hop on the one that will take them in the direction they want to go, whether that's a great summer experience, a championship, or some other outcome.  It's my assertion that most kids sign up for design; they want to be part of something they think is cool. If your design is attractive, you'll get numbers in November. If you get numbers in November, you'll have a larger pool of top talent at your doorstep. If you contract a large enough number of that top talent, you're going to improve your competitive outcome.

Some members -- a minority, in my experience -- sign up for overall member experience or other reasons such as proximity and cost.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I could tell you about my trip hop phase. Or that I can play and sing a few Ben Folds songs. I am all over the place man.

Me too. It's the way to be. I love handbags, figure skating and gymnastics, and football, aircraft, and space.

• Like 1

From the moment Blue Stars members are all in the green until the end, the corps has a show that would have put them in the running for 5th place.  BS design team should create a show like that next year

• Like 1