Way Too Early DCI 2024 Discussion

8 minutes ago, Ediker said:

17) If you don’t like the sheets, work to change them and quiting grousing about them. 

This argument has got to go.

The activity is incredibly insulated from outsiders and outsider opinions. You can't just contact a CEO and submit a resume. You have to know people.

Not everyone "grousing" has access to influence change like you're suggesting.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The activity is incredibly insulated from outsiders and outsider opinions. You can't just contact a CEO and submit a resume. You have to know people.

Not everyone "grousing" has access to influence change like you're suggesting.

You make a valid point. For better or worse, insulation has provided a measure of protection for an activity that has struggled to survive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Then the brass and percussion captions become essentially useless. With the corps’ electronics influencing so much of the mix that gets relayed to the box, it would be nearly impossible for the brass and percussion judges to make an accurate and meaningful assessment of the hornlines and pit/drumlines. Pretty sure visual proficiency is also judged from the sideline (I could be wrong about this), so the quality of assessment of this caption would suffer as well. 

Huh.... I guess that leaves us fans out to dry then!

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Congrats to Blue Devils 2023 on a well-deserved victory!  2024 might give us a first 4-peat.

To the other great corps out there, don’t even think about beating BD until you fully grasp a few facts about how this activity is scored:

1) GE is not synonymous with difficulty and demand. 

2) Diffficulty/demand does not equal GE. 

3) A “great design” is not merely cramming in a bunch of demand. 

4) GE is not cleanliness.

5) GE is not gimmickry. 

6) GE does not equal audience or crowd reaction.

7) Since GE scores are not divided by two (like Visual and Music scores), GE numbers contribute twice as much to overall score than any of the performance sub-captions (brass, percussion, color guard). 

8. It is easier (much) to correct performance problems in July/August than to overcome a GE deficit. 

9) Visual Analysis and Music Analysis may not be GE, but they are tied to how the visual and music designs coordinate and contribute to GE. 

10) Today begins the off season for performers

11) Today through April is the on season for designers

12 If you are a designer and are the least bit foggy about what constitutes GE, read the #### sheets. Every single word… over and over and over. 

13) Reading and understanding the sheets is not the same as doing what is on the sheets. 

14) Whether you agree with (or like) what is on the sheets is immaterial to the fact that the MMs you serve will be judged by what is on the sheets. 

15) Malicious compliance, doing the bare minimum and/or checking the box for a GE sheet item is not the same as maximizing that item. 

16) Generating GE is good. Generating GE in innovative ways is good. Generating GE in a variety of ways is better. Generating GE in a variety of innovative ways that also carry artistic risk is way better. Do so better than anyone else in a way that requires the most proficient MMs is the path to winning. 

17) If you don’t like the sheets, work to change them and quit grousing about them. 

Anything missing?

Currently at the moment you need probably 19.9s minimum from all judges to match, potentially exceed BD in GE, and the corps right beneath them weren’t some massive gap off away from them on the score sheets themselves when it comes to what they put out there, so even throwing point 15 out there sounds odd to me. 
Some folks are arguing every corps has gimmicks, and to a degree they’re not wrong, even BD.

lots of semantics with the discussion as to what words define what GE truly is when it is discussed, even when referencing the word-for-word writing as rigid of the caption when there is room for interpretation obviously. Using words such as demand, clarity, gimmickry, cleanliness, variety, etc. mean different things to different people a lot of the time. As far as I’m concerned, 20’s on the sheets for GE that a corps earns could be earned in a multitude of ways by the sound of it! 

Personally, I never go into a show to see who has the most “effective” show, never have I said “**** that’s some GE right there!!” for any particular moment. I just go in trying to feel something, and that’s all I wanna get from any show from any corps, that’s all for me mainly. 

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

2 hours ago, valjean said:

Huh.... I guess that leaves us fans out to dry then!

You don’t have to attend shows or subscribe to Flo. 

Human judging will be replaced Regional and Championships scoring goes automated. Corps must upload all music and visual charts two days before the contest then cameras situated throughout the stadium compare the charts to determine the difficulty level and how well it is performed. GE is relegated to the sound of the audience measured by microphones placed in strategic locations. Theme will have no relevance as the basis of scoring is how difficult the show is and well it's performed.