Bluecoats 2024

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

It is well documented that they don't use a drill writer and everything is taught on the field. If you really think about it the only 2 times in the show where there was more traditional drill was in the opener with the moving squares ending in the Maltese cross, and the very end with the Matisse star. Everything else was staging and FTL. 

Where is it well documented?  Taught on the field?  So for what they do without a drill writer, that makes what they do even more interesting.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

It is well documented that they don't use a drill writer and everything is taught on the field. If you really think about it the only 2 times in the show where there was more traditional drill was in the opener with the moving squares ending in the Maltese cross, and the very end with the Matisse star. Everything else was staging and FTL. 

Its actually documented they do HAVE a drill writer and he is used. Jaime Holly and Jay Murphy write the drill. Sure its not the typical drill writing we think of but they still write drill

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Why has the Bluecoats 2024 thread all of a sudden become a BD hater thread? It's not a good look.

It's sort of hard to explore how a 3 time in a row silver medalist can win gold without comparing them to the winners.

10 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

It's sort of hard to explore how a 3 time in a row silver medalist can win gold without comparing them to the winners.

Comparing them is one thing. But what I'm reading here is coming across more like pettiness and bitterness. 

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Where is it well documented?  Taught on the field?  So for what they do without a drill writer, that makes what they do even more interesting.

Funliner Productions YouTube channel, who is a 2019 vet, says there is no drill books and no dot books. Everything is taught on the field

5 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Funliner Productions YouTube channel, who is a 2019 vet, says there is no drill books and no dot books. Everything is taught on the field

Not sure I’d believe that.  I know the guy who has designed and written their drill for years. Jay Murphy.  I think he still is doing that for them.  And maybe lately it’s more collaborative with a lot of freedom while they develop over a season.  But usually, they are well planned out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Comparing them is one thing. But what I'm reading here is coming across more like pettiness and bitterness. 

Anytime BD is given good faith criticism, BD fans think it's pettiness and bitterness.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Not sure I’d believe that.  I know the guy who has designed and written their drill for years. Jay Murphy.  I think he still is doing that for them.  And maybe lately it’s more collaborative with a lot of freedom while they develop over a season.  But usually, they are well planned out.

I am not saying there isn't an outline, but they don't use dot books or drill books. 

If you teach choreography for a stage musical, there is usually an outline and written counts, but it's not put on paper like a marching drill. 

• Like 1