Bluecoats 2024

8 minutes ago, arabica said:

It's an interesting thought, though I'm strongly in the "keep drill" camp. I wonder if staffs ever study their competition in this way: what variety and skills were demonstrated, how many different types of effect created, etc, and then try to integrate/outmaneuver in their next program?

I've written for band and paid close attention to our competitors, but at that level never had a need to get that granular.

BD could be very easy to out-innovate on the choreo side of things, especially for Bloo.

Two of their movement techs are Vanguard alum. Sweet people. Maybe one of them studied dance outside of colorguard but maybe not, unsure. Either way, they've got great eyes and are producing the cleanest movers in the activity outside of BD.

BD's choreo is standard and conventional. High demand and achievement, but all firmly within the studio jazz aesthetic.

A design staff that can use literally any other aesthetic and teach it well will give Devs a run for their money. Bloo is the closest to that even if they aren't getting rewarded fully for it just yet. If they keep their current trajectory, they will. I'm rooting for them.

Studio jazz is boring and decades old, even when beautifully executed.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, arabica said:

It's an interesting thought, though I'm strongly in the "keep drill" camp. I wonder if staffs ever study their competition in this way: what variety and skills were demonstrated, how many different types of effect created, etc, and then try to integrate/outmaneuver in their next program?

I've written for band and paid close attention to our competitors, but at that level never had a need to get that granular.

I am actually with you. To see personal heros of mine such as Jeff Saktig and Leon May become obsolete, would break my heart. However after watching BD on high cam tonight, I really saw how not using a drill book formed their visual program and since they have won visual proficiency for as many years as I can remember, I figure the only way to beat them is to join them. 

BD does very little form to form drill. Do they move much more than in previous years? Yes but not as much as I thought after watching them on high cam. There is a strategy to how they move which has brought them success.

I see Bluecoats and I think their movement is sublime. the choreo was spot on, their body vocabulary was near perfect. they win visual analysis, but BD still wins visual proficiency (with a 20 BTW) So how does Blue win visual proficiency? the only thing I can think of is to show more elements. 

Edited by ContraFart
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Lance said:

If we're going to stay literary, do one of Cormac McCarthy's whacked out novels.  Maybe "Suttree" or "Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West".  That's out there even for Blooooo.  

I would LOVE a dark show from Bloo. 

Maybe not a full-out violent scalping fest like a Cormac McCarthy lol … but definitely some dark jazz in dark uniforms, I crave that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

In order to win, fire the drill writer and stage organically. 

Really, seriously disagree. If it wasn’t for Jon Vanderkoff, there wouldn’t be this level of consistency. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

Really, seriously disagree. If it wasn’t for Jon Vanderkoff, there wouldn’t be this level of consistency. 

Read the rest of my posts. I was being ironic by saying that. 

• Confused 1

There's a happy medium here. Don't join Devs on this loss of form to form drill. That's legacy lost.

Increase the elements as Fart said.

That's more easily done when movement designers and instructors learn movement from outside the insular colorguard echo chamber world's biggest wink ever.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2