Bluecoats 2024

14 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, I hope you don’t hate me, but I loved it too. And I am as true Bloo as they come. 

I dont hate people, and I am not going to yuck your yum. 

My point is that BD uses a completely different skill set and vocabulary when creating a visual program that is such a departure from the paradigm of what we think of drum corps. When it comes to brass or drums or even spinning guard equipment, you cannot rewrite the foundation, because the skill sets and vocabulary are going to stay the same. It seems corps like Bloo are being punished by the judging community for not keeping up, even though their visual program was absolutely gorgeous and near perfectly performed. I want Bloo to win. they have finished second to BD 4 times in the past 10 years. If Bloo is going to win consistently, I think we need to figure out why the judging community values the completely different visual approach of BD so much and how to be "strategic" about movement, without giving up identity. Beat them at their own game in a way. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

And you are always right there too to give me snark. 

Someone's gotta keep ya in check :peek:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Bump, as far as ensemble timing and spatial responsibilities is the hardest thing I have ever seen put on a football field. It was awesome. 

I was super impressed by how locked in it was and wondered how it must’ve sounded as a performer in one of the sections.  How the heck did they do that???  

In comparison, Pacific Crest had something similar with different sections spread relatively wide across the field playing in unison.  The music wasn’t as difficult and they often had phasing issues (I don’t think during semis).

I hope Bluecoats has a musical section that hits as hard next year!

• Like 2

The question I would like asked of the BD design leads is, does your design and teaching method only work well because you consistently march the most experienced corps in DCI?

Does BdB and BdC use the same methodology?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The question I would like asked of the BD design leads is, does your design and teaching method only work well because you consistently march the most experienced corps in DCI?

Does BdB and BdC use the same methodology?

Not sure if this is an answer to your question. There was an episode of That Dan Band where the designer (David Glyde?) specifically said that BD adopts a fluid design process. They design each show to bring out the unique talents of the performers. The guard in the opening hit brings to mind a specific skill, as well as the center snare traversing through the entire snare section during the drum feature. They scour those type of skills during audition, observe them during spring camp, and create staging moments to highlight them. Since they don't use dots, they look for MM who are adaptable - quick to learn, and quick to pivot. I think malleable was the word used. There are specific skills that they look for that are matched to the show difficulty. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Not sure if this is an answer to your question. There was an episode of That Dan Band where the designer (David Glyde?) specifically said that BD adopts a fluid design process. They design each show to bring out the unique talents of the performers. The guard in the opening hit brings to mind a specific skill, as well as the center snare traversing through the entire snare section during the drum feature. They scour those type of skills during audition, observe them during spring camp, and create staging moments to highlight them. Since they don't use dots, they look for MM who are adaptable - quick to learn, and quick to pivot. I think malleable was the word used. There are specific skills that they look for that are matched to the show difficulty. 

Right but my suspicion is that this method of design only works when half your corps is age outs, and almost all coming from other established corps. I would like to know how many other corps don’t use a dot chart, and whether BDB and BDC also do not use dot charts.

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Right but my suspicion is that this method of design only works when half your corps is age outs, and almost all coming from other established corps. I would like to know how many other corps don’t use a dot chart, and whether BDB and BDC also do not use dot charts.

As I said, I believe these type of skills are unique to each individual performer. I don't believe a skill is intrinsic to that performer being an age-out or having experience at other corps. BD tenors had a rookie who graduated HS and was part of WGI open champ Ayala HS. I don't know about BDB and BDC and how they do things. I suspect they do, since their members often rise up to BDA and having gone through the same type of training method would help with that transition. 

4 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

As I said, I believe these type of skills are unique to each individual performer. I don't believe a skill is intrinsic to that performer being an age-out or having experience at other corps. BD tenors had a rookie who graduated HS and was part of WGI open champ Ayala HS. I don't know about BDB and BDC and how they do things. I suspect they do, since their members often rise up to BDA and having gone through the same type of training method would help with that transition. 

Not sure that’s true. Vast majority of BD MMs come from established corps, and are near or at age out. I read that around 75 of the BD members this year aged out.

Let’s be honest here, BD has way way more qualified auditioners than they can sign. They have the luxury of picking not just the best and most experienced MMS—but also those that fit their method of teaching and performance. Their guard is professional level ability.

Edited by MikeRapp

42 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Not sure that’s true. Vast majority of BD MMs come from established corps, and are near or at age out. I read that around 75 of the BD members this year aged out.

Let’s be honest here, BD has way way more qualified auditioners than they can sign. They have the luxury of picking not just the best and most experienced MMS—but also those that fit their method of teaching and performance. Their guard is professional level ability.

And since this is the Bloo thread, it should be pointed out that Bloo also has their pick of the litter as far auditionees go. 

• Like 6