Carolina Crown 2024

Thought I would be the one to make this thread for the second year in a row. 

Reflecting upon how I opened the thread this past season, the performers were indeed finally handed a product that in my eyes knocked it out of the park. It just so happened there were three other shows around them that were also amazing. The design staff is definitely learning from the past. The new percussion staff really meshed well with the design team and brought a whole new sound to this corps that works really really well. I am excited to see what a whole year worth of recruiting will do to this line. Now that the other captions have caught up to the brass, I think that if next year the "students" are handed a show that is very cohesive and powerful...look out. Because a crown that is consistent across all performance captions is a VERY scary crown. 

Anyways, here is to winning the show thread caption once again, let's do it again this year!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Bumping this thread because another member was wondering where this thread was. 

Edited by MadisonBandMan1

I’m all for innovation. But I love Crown being the banner carrier for classical music now. 

With Phantom successfully branching out to use Muse in their programming, it was Crown bringing the classical with that astoundingly clear symphonic sound.

More please.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

I’m all for innovation. But I love Crown being the banner carrier for classical music now. 

With Phantom successfully branching out to use Muse in their programming, it was Crown bringing the classical with that astoundingly clear symphonic sound.

More please.  

I’ll double down on classical and further refine to operatic.  Make Crown the Opera House of DCI.   

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, karuna said:

I’ll double down on classical and further refine to operatic.  Make Crown the Opera House of DCI.   

Yeah we had this conversation earlier this season. Lots of contemporary opera to explore 

• Like 1

I will add to those requests. 

Is it too much to ask for them to have another show with as much simultaneous visual and musical demand as 2012 and 2014? 2012 especially? I want them to push the envelope with simultaneous visual and musical difficulty like they did then. Spread the field. They totally have the chops to do it and even better than they did back then. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Is it too much to ask for them to have another show with as much simultaneous visual and musical demand as 2012 and 2014? 2012 especially? I want them to push the envelope with simultaneous visual and musical difficulty like they did then. Spread the field. They totally have the chops to do it and even better than they did back then. 

Much as I loved run and gun Crown, it will not get the credit it once did.   I don’t see a return to that style of show.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Just to continue…  they will need to continue to advance the range of skills performers in all sections are asked to master.   You can’t beat BD being as good as a BD.   Wider vocabulary in percussion; stronger and more consistent colorguard technique ;  more developed choreography in the brass with the training to match.  

Also more clarity of design. They made steps in this direction but need to continue to improve.  

• Like 1

Well, wanted to get some skin in the game with the ‘24 thread. 

SCV ‘89 (operatic/broadway) and ‘89 PR (Dvorak) are among my lifetime, DCI top ten. If Crown take’s a direction that embraces those elements, sign me up.

Agree wholeheartedly with K: music on the move just ain’t gettin’ the green shirt credit it deserves. As much as I, personally, appreciate that type of show, the activity simply no longer rewards that approach.

Crown. Opera House of DCI. K’s on to something there…

Edited by nsxanax
  • Thanks 1