Carolina Crown 2024

Again contemporary opera please. (I can live with classics but like...Turandot is always gonna be Phantom to me..heh) 

Top of my wish list is Book of Mountains and Seas just for what they could do with visuals from this production with Basil Twist's puppetry. (Please do it better than Phantom did...please)

"A daring new work by composer Huang Ruo and puppeteer/designer/director Basil Twist, Book of Mountains and Seas is a modern take on ancient Chinese creation myths, first transcribed in the 4th Century BC, yet strikingly relevant to our current struggle with climate change. An ensemble of massive puppets, as fanciful as they are terrifying, and the chorus of Ars Nova Copenhagen challenge us through music and stunning visual tableaux to consider the power of the natural world and our vital, yet tenuous, relationship to it."

Also plenty of percussive stuff for Jackson and Shaw to explore here in relation to the music.

Frida

M Butterfly (the opera not the movie, same story...but told better through opera)

• Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 8:15 PM, KVG_DC said:

Again contemporary opera please. (I can live with classics but like...Turandot is always gonna be Phantom to me..heh) 

Top of my wish list is Book of Mountains and Seas just for what they could do with visuals from this production with Basil Twist's puppetry. (Please do it better than Phantom did...please)

Love to hear these contemporary operatic pieces.

OTOH...you've never heard Crown play Turandot.   Even Sacktig commented that during the design meetings he didn't think "Tristan and Isolde" would really work well on the field but the result speaks for itself.  That might very well have been the most orchestral  interpretation ever put on a football field.   There are many wonderful classical operas that have never been done (or at least done well).  

In any case you've got a built-storyline that you are free to reinterpret in a more modern fashion.   And some incredible music by written masters of the art.  And of course you are free to find other pieces to tell your story -- you need not restrict yourself to the original.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, karuna said:

Love to hear these contemporary operatic pieces.

OTOH...you've never heard Crown play Turandot.   Even Sacktig commented that during the design meetings he didn't think "Tristan and Isolde" would really work well on the field but the result speaks for itself.  That might very well have been the most orchestral  interpretation ever put on a football field.   There are many wonderful classical operas that have never been done (or at least done well).  

In any case you've got a built-storyline that you are free to reinterpret in a more modern fashion.   And some incredible music by written masters of the art.  And of course you are free to find other pieces to tell your story -- you need not restrict yourself to the original.

Replying to myself because I'm an idiot....

Just to continue,  I propose Puccini's Tosca.  Everyone wants Crown to go dark.  Well... revenge, betrayal, murder, suicide and a little torture thrown in for good measure.  And many modern adaptations already on the books from which to draw inspiration.  Those three chords.    And OH the arias...

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

I would be all over a Tosca show.  Particularly done in what we can now call Crown's symphonic style I guess.

DCXMuseum doesn't show anyone having used Tosca before.  It's one of my favorite operas.  

• Like 1

If Crown continues with the opera music or themes can I throw this one in the talk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nose_(opera)

On 8/14/2023 at 7:35 AM, Sensioto said:

Right Here, Right Now in 2022 was a risky show. It resulted in a lot of mixed feelings, but it got back to what Crown has had a knack for doing for the past decade - innovating. I fear if they do not take risks in 2024, then they will not see a jump in competitive success.

I feel like I'm the only person that just straight up ADORED this show. Most reactions I saw were either "eh that was cool i guess" or a 5 page essay on why Carolina Crown singlehandedly destroyed the entire music industry

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I feel like I'm the only person that just straight up ADORED this show. Most reactions I saw were either "eh that was cool i guess" or a 5 page essay on why Carolina Crown singlehandedly destroyed the entire music industry

I think a lot of us adored this show. It was magnificent. I am so happy for what they achieved - the Ott, the Bronze Medal, and a whooper of a score.

29 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

I think a lot of us adored this show. It was magnificent. I am so happy for what they achieved - the Ott, the Bronze Medal, and a whooper of a score.

I think that was a reference to 2022 RHRN.  This years show was more widely received as a success than RHRN.  

• Like 1