Carolina Crown 2024

On 8/17/2023 at 9:01 PM, karuna said:

If you think you’ve got the horses to compete with BD there’s nothing better than to see them early and often.   While it is an added expense just to get out there, you can do it on a budget.  Crown did their normal ST at GWebb and then spent a number of days doing long bus rides / rehearsal days to travel west.  You could also fly commercial and have a team of drivers take the caravan in advance. 

I will say this.  West Coast fans REALLY show their appreciation when you go west. 

I was away from the activity until my oldest was in high school. When he started marching band I brought my kids to their first DCI competition at Riverside 2013.  I knew nothing of Crown but there was a definite Buzz at their Souvie booth.  I’m so happy that my kids got to see them in person and that night lit the spark up again!  I’ve been a total Crown fan ever since that night, and for one of my sons Crown 2013 ended up as his favorite show ever. (With Babylon 2018 and Spartacus rounding out the top 3)

While I tried to steer the talent of my son to Crown, my buddy steered his own son (one of my son’s best friends) to Blue Devils.   As it turned out, my son ended up at BD this past year, while his ended up at Crown and will probably age out there next year.   There’s still hope for me though, 2025 is my kids age out.  I’m so selfish. LOL

We also saw the Cavaliers out west in 2018.  Such an awesome show that was. Not sure it’s financially an option for non west coast corps to start out west anymore but I’d love to see it happen more often.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

This is so refreshing...coming here and not finding posts about how Crown 2022 could have moved up and pointing out their faults like at the beginning of the 2023 thread. I'm sorry to say I was one of those guys. But 2023 just totally clicked in all areas for me.

There was a lot of talk about the ballad duet and the quartet made mistakes that we haven't heard before. But they weren't the only corps to have that happen on finals.

I'm so excited for what could happen in 2024. Which hasn't happened for me since 2017. I went into 2017 expecting great things, but even though they medaled with the bronze and won the Ott, it wasn't my favorite show and it didn't have me pumped for 2018. They won those same rewards this year and I'm really looking forward for what they have in store next summer. There wasn't a huge ageout number so hopefully there will be a lot of returning veterans and even a better percussion turn out. It seems GE shouldn't be a problem anymore either. All those good things are a recipe for success. 

I know it's silly but I'd really like it if they wore hats like they did from2013- 2017.

Sorry for rambling on and on.

First, we need to make sure that the staff keeps Rick grounded so he doesn't come out with a design out of left field that nobody can understand. That's the most important thing right now.

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

First, we need to make sure that the staff keeps Rick grounded so he doesn't come out with a design out of left field that nobody can understand. That's the most important thing right now.

What shows has Rick done? A show no one can understand isn't always a bad thing in my book

45 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

2017 to present.

Nah man you can let his creative energy soar, I'm cool with that🤘

2 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

2017 to present.

2018 was also codesigned by Lindsey Vento
Not a good track record for her with show designs in this activity imo...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

2018 was also codesigned by Lindsey Vento
Not a good track record for her with show designs in this activity imo...

Then shame on her too. 🤣 In all honesty, Beast had potential, but that potential never came to fruition. 

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Nah man you can let his creative energy soar, I'm cool with that🤘

No. They need to keep him grounded. It was nice not hearing the entire activity say that the show design was beneath the performers this year, and it was nice being in contention with a cohesive show design.

5 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Then shame on her too. 🤣 In all honesty, Beast had potential, but that potential never came to fruition. 

Agreed. Beast had such a good shot to do well, but the design never came to fruition. 
Lindsey has her own set of issues. Her design kept us outta finals in 18 despite everything we had going for us. Klesch as a writer, Jaime Holly for drill...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighterkit said:

Agreed. Beast had such a good shot to do well, but the design never came to fruition. 
Lindsey has her own set of issues. Her design kept us outta finals in 18 despite everything we had going for us. Klesch as a writer, Jaime Holly for drill...

Beckhart >

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

It's a hard balance to strike.  

On the one hand,  you need to be "sophisticated" if you're gonna be contending for medals.  

On the other,  you still need to be "accessible" to your audience.

Our previous design team  (now at Crown North) leaned heavily to the accessible side.  Things were obvious -- sometimes painfully so.  But the excellence across the board carried the design so well that no one really minded a little bashing on the head.  

The current team is making (IMHO a very intentional) swing in the other direction.  A few of their efforts ebbed perhaps too far in one direction.  Again excellence carried the design strongly enough to prevent what literally ALL of DCP (sans Crownies of course) predicted ie dropping out of contention entirely.  Granted many of those predictions were merely fans of other programs making way for their team to move up (zero sum game and all) .  

In any case It was a relief to see that balance come far closer to the center this season.  Speaking of balance,  it was a joy to see the percussion and guard sections just rocking it this year.  Bodes extremely well for the seasons to come.   

• Like 4