Carolina Crown 2024

As someone that came through high school marching band in the early 2000s, two things I never want to see on the field again, Pirates of the Caribbean and Riverdance. I can remember sitting in the stands, counting pirate ships in prop storage and watching the same show at least 5 times a weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

As someone that came through high school marching band in the early 2000s, two things I never want to see on the field again, Pirates of the Caribbean and Riverdance. I can remember sitting in the stands, counting pirate ships in prop storage and watching the same show at least 5 times a weekend. 

There was a Riverdance dancing challenge on The Amazing Race last Wednesday. There was this one big clumsy guy trying to do the dance.  It took him nine attempts and it was still terrible so they took pity on him and passed him through.  I was laughing so hard I was crying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCIFan2022 said:

Interesting to see a post about Riverdance! For a long time, I've envisioned Crown doing a show like that and playing the song below! 

Pioneer did a Riverdance show in 1997; came in 19th.  
I recall seeing them that year - it was a good concept but seemed a bit too difficult for the talent level, esp for guard members that didn’t have a background in Irish dance. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

The direction the ensemble went this past season has had me incredibly excited for the talent pool and the direction of the ensemble this year. 

• Like 8

On 12/19/2023 at 1:59 AM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

The direction the ensemble went this past season has had me incredibly excited for the talent pool and the direction of the ensemble this year. 

I share your excitement.  Was just listening to some audio and was struck with the sophistication of the arrangements.  There's no one out there doing what they're doing.   Yes there are other excellent drum corps performances out there -- settle down people.  But Klesch's skill at arranging is aging like fine wine and the percussion writing last year was phenomenal.   Kind of scary to think what things could be like in 24.  

• Like 5

On 12/20/2023 at 8:00 PM, karuna said:

I share your excitement.  Was just listening to some audio and was struck with the sophistication of the arrangements.  There's no one out there doing what they're doing.   Yes there are other excellent drum corps performances out there -- settle down people.  But Klesch's skill at arranging is aging like fine wine and the percussion writing last year was phenomenal.   Kind of scary to think what things could be like in 24.  

I completely agree. Klesch is a musical genius and I hope he remains with the program for at least the next two decades. One of the really cool things about him is that he continues to evolve as a writer, he doesn't hold on to tendencies for too long, at least not anymore. This ensemble is really pushing the activity musically even now, and I am here for it. Music is the entire basis of this activity, after all, even over the marching.

The best part is his music almost ALWAYS matches what is happening on the field. I love that. 

• Like 5