Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

On 11/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, Phantom56 said:

Sweeny Todd must be performed by Phantom--the murder-happy corps. 

Okay I mean I get it, but let’s be honest the only corps to do a Sweeney show justice and win with it would be BD with how they mash styles to tell stories. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this reactions, he did BC after.

• Thanks 2

His eyebrows do the same thing mine do during Both Sides Now and go up and down a bit with the melody.  It's kind of a Pavlovian thing.

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, theonlyfizzle said:

New day heading towards a new season. Out with 2023 drum corps season, moving on to 2024. But before i look forward i and many of us still have many days ahead to still reflect on the Incredible 2023 season; on all the shows that was produced and performed.

The level of talent across the board was impressive, the competitive nature of the young members were fierce and magnificent to watch. The return and battle for 12th in top 12, the rise of The Mandarins from previous 10th place to 6th. The return of Cadets, The resilience of Cavaliers, The battles of Troop, BS, Colts. The incredible designs and battles between Phantom, Mandarins, Cadets. The Spectacular show down of the top 4; BAC, BC, CROWN, BD was unmatched and thrilling, and the 21st victory of the BD Undefeated streak from 2022 to 2023, technically they haven't lost a show since finals 2019, which is another record in the history books.

What would ya'll like to individually like to see Blue Devils explore for the 2024 show.

Should it be a conceptual, and what kind of concept ?

Should it be purely musical, and what musical genre would you like for them to explore ?

Should it be another arts show ?

Should it be light heart , or Dark themed ?

Should be Story telling ?

Doesn't really matter, they're going to do whatever they want and win regardless of what they do.

Hell, they could do a full "4:33" show, no playing, no movement whatsoever and still get at least a 96.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Galen said:

Doesn't really matter, they're going to do whatever they want and win regardless of what they do.

Hell, they could do a full "4:33" show, no playing, no movement whatsoever and still get at least a 96.

I detect a note of bitterness. Funny, i thought tears tasted of salt?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lance said:

It's bitter to imply that a corps and it's designers don't earn anything?

I think you know exactly what i meant but just inn case you don’t: it’s bitterness to imply that what the MMs, design team, and instructors do isn’t even necessary, as they would win by just showing up. People don’t have to like their shows, or whatever perceived advantages they feel the corp may have, but to discount their talent, their hard work, and their showmanship by saying it doesn’t matter smacks of plain old jealousy. I don’t care for several shows from year to year, but i always appreciate the effort and talent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For sure. I was agreeing with you.  The first half of BD 2023 was the most I've gotten into any BD show in at least 5 years. But their design team and performers aren't just given championships.  Any rational human understands that so I chalk Galen's comment to being pretty much pure intentional hyperbole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

For sure. I was agreeing with you.  The first half of BD 2023 was the most I've gotten into any BD show in at least 5 years. But their design team and performers aren't just given championships.  Any rational human understands that so I chalk Galen's comment to being pretty much pure intentional hyperbole.

I thought you were agreeing but sometimes i read people wrong!

It's not bitterness or saying it's unearned or undeserved- more of an acknowledgement of the seemingly perpetual disparity between what BD rolls out with every year and what every other corps brings out, as well as the lack of overall competitive parity at the top that's been the environment of DCI for the last 10-15 years. 

To have any other expectations for this season, or any given season for the foreseeable future, would be wishful thinking at best or being in denial at worst.

And yes there's a lot of time between now and August but realistically speaking, it would take something along the lines of multiple major staff departures or a sudden unforeseen and unexpected drop in finances or recruiting, and none of those are anything that should be expected to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Galen