Boston Crusaders 2024

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

While I’m sure some corps hid equipment away from auctioneers, in the case of many of the defunct drum corps, drill teams, and bands from back in the day, the question would be what do you do with the stuff? Instruments were used until they could be used no more, and what do you do with uniforms? Maybe the local dance troupe could use them for a production of “The Nutcracker” or a theater company doing “The Music Man.” I know of one parish that never had a marching group of any kind that found a set of uniforms. No one could identify them and no one in the parish knew where they came from until someone remembered a local drill team disbanded and donated them to the parish just in case they ever wanted to start a drill team.

Hard to say what might still be lurking in the attic of the former American Legion post that sponsored us…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m thinking Ken Norman may have had a lot of those horns in the case of the Kilties.  There were uniforms floating around everywhere from lots of defunct drum corps. .  Many of them are in Bill Ives’ drum corps museum. Jim donated a Kilts uniform to Bill that he got from a Kiltie brother.  Bill has so many uniforms that he can’t bring them all to Indianapolis.   

Some people just want them for some reason.  I had no problem selling my Royal Airs reunion corps uniform.  And they offered more than I paid for it. I don’t have any of that stuff anymore. I decided to travel light when I made the big move in 2021. Got rid of corps jackets, dozens of yearbooks… so much stuff.  Less stuff for someone to get rid of after I kick it.

Anyway, people want this stuff for some reason unbeknownst to me. 

I definitely would love to buy a traditional Boston uniform. Any year from 1956-2013. If only they had some for sale

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I definitely would love to buy a traditional Boston uniform. Any year from 1956-2013. If only they had some for sale

After the corps opened their new HQ, ghost suggested they, if there was room, display uniforms, props, etc..  If not enough floor space, put them up on walls, or hang them from ceilings. 

• Like 2

Just now, TOC said:

After the corps opened their new HQ, ghost suggested they, if there was room, display uniforms, props, etc..  If not enough floor space, put them up on walls, or hang them from ceilings. 

I had heard someone who worked at the office mention what happened to the old uniforms. I can only hope that they were joking about what they did

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Hard to say what might still be lurking in the attic of the former American Legion post that sponsored us…

Of course, this was over 50  years ago but I saw all the old trophies and a uniform of the Skokie Indians displayed at the Skokie American Legion post on Lincoln Ave. There was even a picture of Frank Arsenault there. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Of course, this was over 50  years ago but I saw all the old trophies and a uniform of the Skokie Indians displayed at the Skokie American Legion post on Lincoln Ave. There was even a picture of Frank Arsenault there. 

I recall a few trophies in the front section of Post (there was a unique smell of stale beer, cigarette smoke, & valve oil).  There was smallish banquet room in rear where we practiced, & in back kitchen/mechanical room was pull down ladder to attic where drums, bugles, & guard equipment was stored.  Idk where uniforms were kept; the uniform ladies would show up with them for fittings, & they would be on racks by the busses when it was time to go somewhere. 

• Like 1

Decades ago, and before social media, etc., the word slowly got out that Joe Dowling was giving away most of the corps trophies and flags.  The local Lower Mills, Hyde Park members got the good stuff, but ghost did get a small trophy and maybe a WO flag.   The 5' trophy from one of the annual Fitchburg, MA contests was long gone.  

• Like 3

Happy New Year to all the members, staff,  alumni and fans of the Boston Crusaders.  This is the 84th New Years Day the Crusaders organization has been around for! Those original Crusaders  would now be over 100 if any of them were still around. May their spirits continue to watch over the current members! Eat'em Up, Boston!

• Like 4

On 12/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, fighterkit said:

You may wish to contact Battalion. They bought the 2012-2013 uniforms from Boston and used them for several years but have since moved on to newer uniforms.