Boston Crusaders 2024

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

Not that much of a change. Last year - Brass had in person camps Jan., Mar, & Apr. Percussion had in person camps Jan. & Apr.

I know my first summer with Boston we had camps in Jan/Feb/March/April and now it is just Jan and April

Big change, but I think the right change

• Like 1

Update posted today on the Crusaders Facebook page.......

Throughout camps and on tour, we are fortunate to receive care from our fully staffed medical team. To help prepare for the summer ahead, this weekend Chip Vokey, RN, Rick Vale, RT, and Brian Hebbard, ATC met one-on-one with members to began preventative screenings including:

-Blood pressure checks
-Concussion baseline screenings (cognitive retention, balance and coordination, and ocular motor function)
-Arch and foot posture testing
-Health history reviews

By taking the time to establish baseline measurements early in the season, our team is able to effectively prevent, quickly identify, and appropriately treat injuries throughout the summer. Thank you BAC Medical Team for all that you do to keep the Crusaders safe and healthy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Update posted today on the Crusaders Facebook page.......

Throughout camps and on tour, we are fortunate to receive care from our fully staffed medical team. To help prepare for the summer ahead, this weekend Chip Vokey, RN, Rick Vale, RT, and Brian Hebbard, ATC met one-on-one with members to began preventative screenings including:

-Blood pressure checks
-Concussion baseline screenings (cognitive retention, balance and coordination, and ocular motor function)
-Arch and foot posture testing
-Health history reviews

By taking the time to establish baseline measurements early in the season, our team is able to effectively prevent, quickly identify, and appropriately treat injuries throughout the summer. Thank you BAC Medical Team for all that you do to keep the Crusaders safe and healthy!

This is another example of how drum corps members are cared for now better than ever.  I still remember trumpet soloist Noah getting bonked in the forehead by a wayward rifle during ensemble in Castleton in 22.  The corps doctor and one of her assistants were on the field treating him before the rep was even finished.  And, she did the stitches herself!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, craiga said:

This is another example of how drum corps members are cared for now better than ever.  I still remember trumpet soloist Noah getting bonked in the forehead by a wayward rifle during ensemble in Castleton in 22.  The corps doctor and one of her assistants were on the field treating him before the rep was even finished.  And, she did the stitches herself!

Beats the “throw dirt on it” from the old days, that’s for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Beats the “throw dirt on it” from the old days, that’s for sure. 

no joke....

in 1995, some DCA corps performed at DCE championships in Allentown. we parked in the park before warmups like you could back then, and bass 2 decided to run over to the convenience store across Hamilton. Wellll.......him being him, he didn't watch traffic closely enough, and from my car while starting to change into the party duds, i hear screeching tires. yup, he got hit by a car. my bass tech immediately grabbed the notes book, told me to start learning to be basses 1 and 2 for at least that night, and ran to go check.

our corps director also ran over, and upon seeing bass 2's now badly broken leg to go along with myriad other bumps, bruises, scrapes etc., looked down at bass 2 and said "well, ok i guess you don't have to march tonight. think you'll be ok for next week?"

well, he never did make it back and in fact an alum hanging for the day was quickly recruited to become bass 2 for the rest of the season. but yes the director said he could skip a show after being hit by a car. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no joke....

in 1995, some DCA corps performed at DCE championships in Allentown. we parked in the park before warmups like you could back then, and bass 2 decided to run over to the convenience store across Hamilton. Wellll.......him being him, he didn't watch traffic closely enough, and from my car while starting to change into the party duds, i hear screeching tires. yup, he got hit by a car. my bass tech immediately grabbed the notes book, told me to start learning to be basses 1 and 2 for at least that night, and ran to go check.

our corps director also ran over, and upon seeing bass 2's now badly broken leg to go along with myriad other bumps, bruises, scrapes etc., looked down at bass 2 and said "well, ok i guess you don't have to march tonight. think you'll be ok for next week?"

well, he never did make it back and in fact an alum hanging for the day was quickly recruited to become bass 2 for the rest of the season. but yes the director said he could skip a show after being hit by a car. 

I hear ya loud and clear.  I just about bit through my tongue when some idiot pushed me off the equipment truck and still did the show that night. 

2 hours ago, craiga said:

In 79 a CG member brought down her flag hard on my horn. (This was 27th, so clearly I was in the wrong spot … our CG didn’t make that sort of mistake.) Long story short, the next day, I had to put a soprano together from three salvaged horns. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I remember that. Scariest thing I’ve ever seen in drum corps was one of our trumpet techs running off the field with blood all over his hand

I decided to try and run rehearsal a little faster so no one noticed Noah had gotten hit and needed help

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In 79 a CG member brought down her flag hard on my horn. (This was 27th, so clearly I was in the wrong spot … our CG didn’t make that sort of mistake.) Long story short, the next day, I had to put a soprano together from three salvaged horns. 

That’ll teach ya.  😂 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea why Jovanna is sitting 2024 out?