A Dinosaur's Lament

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Absolutely it always is up to the corps is to decide what happens.  This is the problem/concern I have always had,  are the people making these decisions doing so with the  best interest of the corps and the activity in mind or are they making  decisions  for their own personal gain? Also, are they making decisions with the impact to the future in mind 3, 5 .. years down the road or just for the here and now? 

They always " Think" they are doing what's best on all ends,NOW , if it actually is or not can be another story and depends who you talk to.

As far as personal gain IF something is not successful, there is no personal gain, many learned that over the years the hard way. A good designer, director, staff person should know their job is to make their members shine and look the best they can,no matter placement .I believe it's a winning formula for all involved.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I thought when trombones, concert French Horns, and Sousaphones were allowed, woodwinds would not be far behind. That hasn’t happened. I’m not sure it will. It has been said that when DCI had a drill team division, there was some consideration given to a band division. This would have been the earliest days of DCI. There were two drill team competitions and the band was probably only talk. Though a band division is not the same as allowing woodwinds in drum corps, since allowing three valved B-flat brass instruments, the woodwind prediction comes alive, it gets considered, and never happens. Personally I believe most corps are more interested in technology and design and adding woodwinds is not a priority. I could see woodwind solos as we have seen with violins, cellos, and this past year a harmonica which is a reed instrument. That’s as much as we’ll see. 

As I said in response to another post, adding woodwinds would not mean a significant increase in revenue. The numbers of marching members would be the same and I do not think a significant number of people boycott DCI because it excludes woodwinds, especially where so many think of drum corps as bands anyway. 

The FUNLINER review of  the  Cadets 2023 production confirms my observation that it was so challenging physically that my marching generation would have thrown up their beers trying some of the moves the Cadets accomplished...Also noteworthy were the Bluecoats physicality . A horn player MUST also be a dancer in top tier drum corps and these two corps personified that fact for me...Thanks for a great season!  peace

29 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

The FUNLINER review of  the  Cadets 2023 production confirms my observation that it was so challenging physically that my marching generation would have thrown up their beers trying some of the moves the Cadets accomplished...Also noteworthy were the Bluecoats physicality . A horn player MUST also be a dancer in top tier drum corps and these two corps personified that fact for me...Thanks for a great season!  peace

Yeah I saw that live in Annapolis and it was a crazy demanding show.  Some of that didn't really show through Flo.   That's when I realized fully "ok, this is why the uniforms are definitely not changing to the West Points for finals."  There's just no way they could have done all that in those West Points.

• Like 1