New G7 Video

It is that group of seven directors to whom I refer.  And, I doubt very much that some of the more conciliatory voices here would be so forgiving of the G7 egos if their lifelong corps had been in the crosshairs.

Remember, in Boston's case, not only were they targeted by the G7, but later on when the 7 became the TOC 8 and BAC came in 8th, the rules were changed the following year to exclude the Crusaders.

We don't WANT  to see any corps go under, which is why Boston has quietly helped SEVERAL corps in recent years.  Having said that, if the drum corps which you have been a part of for nearly 45 years had been through what ours has been through at the hands of such egos,  you might not be quite so altruistic. 

Edited by craiga
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

No need to overreact . The discussion here is about the “ G7 video “. As far as I know the thread topic was not even started by Craiga , LabMaster , Liahona , Fighterkit  , nor any BAC alum nor fan . The thread was started by someone unaffiliated with the Corps . There is no “ vengeance “ sought , as events played out in methodical fashion since then  . Sure it was karma , but it was never the intent nor  the goal . The goal was to improve the Crusaders and make them better in all areas of operation , including marcher safety and marcher learning and enrichment experience . Not “ vengeance “.. Jeesh . None of the Corps Directors of the G7 are in their positions of Directorship from back then anymore anyway  . It is they that have moved on , and relationships in DCI among all  the Corps are much better today than they were back then .  DCI is more collegial  now among all the corps than those dark days where vengeance upon other corps was very real and very much a goal of a select few . But yes , time has moved on from this , and DCI is doing ok , even after the pandemic. The wounds have healed  now among all the Corps  . As near as I can tell anyway , Jurassic Lancer . Enjoy your weekend , by the way 👍

I am indeed not affiliated with BAC. Big fan of them, but that’s it. I merely shared the video because it popped up on my YouTube and I always wanted to support whomever the content creator is as they are putting more content out there. Just thought since it was being resurfaced on YouTube, I’d share it here. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

So correct me if I am wrong (being wrong is my natural state)

I thought we have moved on from the dark days of the G7 proposal. 

But for karma to be satisfied, Cadets, BD, Bloo, Crown, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, as well as SCV should all die ignominiously and have their corps halls salted like Carthage? Would that be what karma demands in 2023?

Wow … I never realized that vengeance is the prime motivator for certain corps. 

There is an important distinction to be made here.

The general sentiment from bystanders and anonymous accounts here seems to be - yes, we have moved on to some degree.  But we need to learn from the lessons of history.  You can forgive, but I would not recommend forgetting.  Sorry to say that those historical reminders can be dark in spots.

How corps operate day-to-day is an entirely different subject.  Nowadays, no one motivates based on "karma" or "vengeance".  Those words do not appear in press releases, or in recruiting materials.  They are not preached by staff at rehearsals.  They are not uttered by corps members.  They are not mentioned in post-show interviews (not even by Dan Potter).  There are no G7 dolls with pins stuck in them laying around on corps busses.  The drum corps experience of today is about achieving artistry and excellence in parallel with other groups doing the same.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, craiga said:

It is that group of seven directors to whom I refer.  And, I doubt very much that some of the more conciliatory voices here would be so forgiving of the G7 egos if their lifelong corps had been in the crosshairs.

Remember, in Boston's case, not only were they targeted by the G7, but later on when the 7 became the TOC 8 and BAC came in 8th, the rules were changed the following year to exclude the Crusaders.

We don't WANT  to see any corps go under, which is why Boston has quietly helped SEVERAL corps in recent years.  Having said that, if the drum corps which you have been a part of for nearly 45 years had been through what ours has been through at the hands of such egos,  you might not be quite so altruistic. 

I think that’s a valid point perhaps overlooked too . 8 Corps is an even number , where you could have 4 corps before intermission , and 4 after intermission . So why 7 ? Well the G7 chief architect Hopkins did not want to include the Crusaders as he liked them far better when they were essentially an east coast unpaid feeder corps to his east coast Cadets for 2 decades . He liked that arrangement as they were 16th-30th in most of those 2 decades . But when he concocted his G7 scheme , the Crusaders had risen up the ranks and were sitting a bit better in the 5th-10th range most seasons . What better way then to bury the Crusaders or put them back to a non Finalist Corps and with  no future threat to his Cadets than to exclude them from his G7 scheme ? Ironically , had Hopkins asked the Crusaders to join up with his idiotic , ill thought out plan , the Boston Crusaders would have declined it anyway I’m told as they did not trust him as far as they could throw him on just about anything . As future events played out, his character was revealed so no need to go any further on that I would imagine .

Now fast forward , and the Cadets and the Crusaders both have come through that sad saga period well, and have far better relations with new mgt there  … as have most  all the other Corps come thru that period well . DCI is alive and kicking today principally  because Corps like the Boston Crusaders and the other non G7  Corps stood their ground, and the other G7 Corps in due time  abandoned the G7 scheme and with Hopkins later summarily  sent packing by DCI . Finally,  No need to go over how Boston has most recently helped a few former G7 Corps financially and otherwise when they needed help during a difficult stretch . Craiga alluded to it above , and we can just leave it at that . Enjoy your Labor Day weekend fellow DCP’ers, and best of success and enjoyment to all the Corps and fans at the DCA Championships this weekend !👍

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Goliath sent out an SOS.

then Paradise was Lost

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

These two sentences here just come off as bitter, and as if you want the other corps to die off so that BAC has a beeline to the Founders Trophy. You said it yourself, without those corps that make up the G7, DCI would likely have died off by now. Either you want that to happen or not, I'm honestly not sure. Clarification would help, because these two sentences contradict everything that you said prior to them.

pretty sure he means the people, not the actual corps

• Thanks 2