Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

19 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

This post is off topic and needs to removed. Using every tread to promote your agenda needs to be sopped.

The “agenda” I’ve been reading is protect corps and their members by voicing valid criticism instead of excusing or ignoring problems.

And when I started my career saw enough sexism, homophobia, prejudice with a few substance abuse problems thrown in for good measure. Better now because people speak up.

14 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

That analogy is awful. 

In announcing they intend to field a corps in 2024 what would you rather they say?  Would you be happier if the announcement was "we are folding and never coming back"?  Sounds like you don't trust them, but let's see how many kids do and I'm glad there will be an opportunity for them to decide that.  

Will it be as many that trusted them last fall?

• Like 1

So when do potential members commit to corps? Sure the process of choosing has already begun in their minds.

From the California AG website:

https://oag.ca.gov/charities/delinquency#:~:text=This includes not being able,and may result in penalties.

“A charitable organization that is not in good standing because it is delinquent may not operate or solicit donations in California. This includes not being able to be listed in solicitations or receive donations through charitable fundraising platforms. If the delinquency is not fixed, the organization’s status will be further changed to Suspended, and/or Revoked and may result in penalties. The Franchise Tax Board will also be notified about the delinquent status and the organization may lose its tax exemption.”

Edited by MarkHornGA

19 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

My question has to do with “competitive inertia”. Will Vanguard be held back because of their failure to compete from the previous season or will they pick up from where they left off?

Since SCV is a historical champion, we don't have to worry about that aspect of CI. So the question boils down to "When the competition is very close, does SCV still have enough CI to be given a slightly higher score than a new-comer who might otherwise deserve it?" (IOW, will SCV still be afforded "benefit of the doubt" when it's close?)

I say "Yes, absolutely." This is based on: 1) It was only one year off. No one will even remember this by next May. 2) Staff CI is still very strong, adding immense credibility to the organization going forward. Visual Design (Gaines) and Percussion (The Rennicks) will be world class champion competitors, no doubt. Daniel Riley has been Color Guard Caption Head for over 10 years. CI loves consistency.

I repeat: CI only matters when the judged caption in question is CLOSE. It's entirely possible that certain aspects of SCV will suck for lots of other reasons, making CI a moot point. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Will it be as many that trusted them last fall?

Our favorite Mexican restaurant is called El Farolito in the barrio of Placentia CA.  Last year a kid in a black jacket brought me my take-out order.  When he turned around, it was a Santa Clara Vanguard jacket!  It’s fun to meet and speak with another Drum Corps person especially a current marching member.  He plays trumpet and it turns out he works there to help his aunt & uncle who own the place.  Now every time I go in if he’s working, we chat a bit.  

He did not march this summer to focus on working and making money for college, but he’s always said he will return to SCV for his age out year in 2024.  I’ve not seen him since the announcement yesterday, but I’m very-very happy for him!!!  He just seems to be a good kid – the type Drum Corps often produces.

We have family friends also and their kid will be returning in 2024, so, to answer your question, there will be at least TWO.  Beyond that, I have no clue. 

• Thanks 1

I have worked full-time in nonprofit fundraising and administration since 2010. During that time I worked with four organizations in three states. Every organization VOLUNTARILY participated in a third-party audit every year. Two reasons:

1. Transparency

2. It is required to receive certain types of grant funding. 

The cost of an audit is usually between $10-20K. I assume most corps have relatively small operating budgets (<$2M) so that would likely be on the cheaper end for the audit. In an ideal world an audit at least every three years would be part of the cost of doing business. 

A lack of willingness for any nonprofit BOD to perform a regular audit is a huge red flag. 

If you start a nonprofit and ask people to donate their hard-earned money it is YOUR responsibility to go out of your way to be accountable for every cent. No questions asked. 

Edited by MarkHornGA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6