Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

50 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yeah, you know that staff better than me.

But my followup question would be... okay, you need to be nonprofit to be a guest/participant (as VMAPA is now) OR do you need to be a nonprofit to be a member?

As the policies are written... every participating ensemble from SoundSport tier 3 up to DCI World Class champion is expected to be a non-profit.

(But like all DCI policies, the Orwell principle still applies - when it comes to enforcement, some corps are more equal than others.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

As the policies are written... every participating ensemble from SoundSport tier 3 up to DCI World Class champion is expected to be a non-profit.

Thanks. Helpful to know.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

(But like all DCI policies, the Orwell principle still applies - when it comes to enforcement, some corps are more equal than others.)

Right. Guess I'm curious if the policies delve into the rationale behind every group being a nonprofit. Seems arbitrary in this day and age...no? Or am I missing something?

59 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Spirit's investigation took ... 3 months? (trying to remember), and no penalties were levied until the accuser went public.  Then Spirit was taken out of the lineup within days.  

Mike

Thought Spirit took themselves out for the season so they (new management?) could get their act together. Don’t remember DCI getting involved

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

It’s a corps in Wisconsin called Pioneer

and Santa Clara and Erie

• Like 1

What is the justification for SCV or Sound Sport corps to be non-profit? My car club had non- profit status based on by laws (or was it business statement) that the club provided educational support for the old car activity. Then the state finally asked wth do they do that was educational. Turns out it wasn’t that much so… so long non profit status until the club forked over more $$$. 
Oh yeah giving $$$ to the parent organization didn’t really count (oops)

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What is the justification for SCV or Sound Sport corps to be non-profit? My car club had non- profit status based on by laws (or was it business statement) that the club provided educational support for the old car activity. Then the state finally asked wth do they do that was educational. Turns out it wasn’t that much so… so long non profit status until the club forked over more $$$. 

Idk about scv but soundsport corps like MBI, Northern Lights, or Memphis Blues are educational programs.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What is the justification for SCV or Sound Sport corps to be non-profit? 

No non-profit, no Bingo. No Bingo, no Vanguard.

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

How much money is SCV making from bingo?? It can’t be THAT much

5 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Idk about scv but soundsport corps like MBI, Northern Lights, or Memphis Blues are educational programs.

Figured DCI corps could use the educational reasoning. Wasn’t sure about Sound Sport (thought they could be all age).

7 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I meant how do they justify to the state when applying for NP. Doubt even CA would accept “cuz we wanna run bingo” as a reason.