Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Check their Facebook page

Facebook? Do people still use that? lol

Ok. I went there and saw some pictures. Mission accomplished.

Edited by jjeffeory

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It’s a difficult boat to navigate for sure. 

And yes, one of the important task is to prepare the next leadership to take over. 

would love love to discuss this face to face as it is a very nuanced discussion to have. 

no need. the bottom line is what came out about Pio the last few years of its existence shouldn't have happened. and since the buck stopped with one person, then it's on them. 

Anyone that hired Michael Schmidt, even for a brief period of time shouldn't be running a drum corps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Jeff I'm just kidding with you. 

oh i know. but it made me think of something else.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

And some want them back only if they are financially stable, meeting all State and Federal requirements with true transparency, while treating the performing members in a respectful, responsible way.  

I don't understand ANY poster who blindly praises a Vanguard comeback season without these exact stipulations, or who brands anyone who voices concerns as "haters." Anything else is unacceptable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Crown1990 said:

I don't understand ANY poster who blindly praises a Vanguard comeback season without these exact stipulations, or who brands anyone who voices concerns as "haters." Anything else is unacceptable. 

Well, we used to have a name for the good folks who would do that:  the borg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crown1990 said:

I don't understand ANY poster who blindly praises a Vanguard comeback season without these exact stipulations

The general public may be under the impression that they know the real Vanguard (organizationally, branding-wise, legacy-wise) and therefore associate any change, even if positive in the end, with bad or too cumbersome. That and Vanguard likes to paint a pristine, unvarnished image of it self. They have to. I get it.

With all the challenges this organization has faced for decades, I'd argue that audiences have never seen a Vanguard membership (at least since GR passed) that wasn't enduring serious, multi-faceted issues. These issues get in the way of member achievement somewhere down the line ultimately.

I'm here to say that with such aforementioned stipulations firmly in place, audiences have the potential to see a Vanguard unchained for the first time in decades. Set free. Firing on all cylinders.

I'm aching to see that. And willing to demolish my rep via online hate if that's what it takes. The members are worth it AFAIC.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm here to say that with such aforementioned stipulations firmly in place, audiences have the potential to see a Vanguard unchained for the first time in decades. Set free. Firing on all cylinders.

I love this take. Then I remembered Paul Rennick and Michael Gaines are involved, which means formula. The End.

(not that formula is necessarily bad, but just that we already know what we’re going to get. It’ll be Excellent, but it will be designed for points, and nothing beyond that.)

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

I love this take. Then I remembered Paul Rennick and Michael Gaines are involved, which means formula. The End.

(not that formula is necessarily bad, but just that we already know what we’re going to get. It’ll be Excellent, but it will be designed for points, and nothing beyond that.)

The drum judge's tape from 04 complimented them in just the same manner:

"Sometimes that's where music belongs, not safe but expressive."

That said, I was talking about the organization as a whole, but we can certainly look at the design as a metaphor. But honestly, they can stay formulaic in the design for all I care in the end, just at least clear the management and financial issues once and for all. Doing so would free the members to achieve any book put in front of them.

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

i'll disagree. bth have been part of many shows that were more than just points, both at SCV and elsewhere.

but the organization off the field needs to get its #### together. we're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of SCV going dark for 2023. i hope not to be at my daughters concert again this year with my phone blowing up

Edited by Jeff Ream