Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is a several hundred times higher probability that the asteroid Apophis will hit Earth in 2036 than winning powerball lottery.   

That said ‘Apophis’ could make for an interesting show theme. 

Those same odds apply to SCV winning DCI ever again. 

Mandarins will win DCI before SCV does again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Keno is like bingo.  Worst odds in the house, I’ve been told.  

I was thinking more about the “lazy gambler” scale than odds. 

So it’s basically bingo but you don’t have to pay attention until the card is full?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Well......... physically............. nothing is stopping a bunch of people from getting on busses and touring around the country with instruments and marching around on a football field until they run out of money lord knows where. It wont be the first time that has happened, and apparently, that almost happened to SCV in 2022. 

I totally see a scenario where the bingo plug is pulled, the delay of that information is a month or so to the rest of us and SCV decides to go on the road anyway with whatever they have in financial resources. 

I presume (wild guess) they could take a line of credit against the Bingo Hall which is worth several million as a parking lot alone. 

The priority is image.

Legal compliance is a distraction. 

Understood, I didn’t spell it out but was thinking the money spigot could turn off at start of season. After that it’s a matter of having enough in reserve to finish 2024 on one extreme or stop quick to preserve what they have at the other extreme.

Saw it with other groups but get this creepy “we’ve been around this long so we must be ok”. 

47 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

If SCV loses the nonprofit status, and with it Bingo I don't know how they would get it reinstated. 

I suspect they wouldn't know how to get it reinstated either, because keeping it would have been the much easier pathway. 

IIRC I read SCV has Bingo 4(?) nights a week. If they lose those nights it’s possible other games could get SCV customers. Even if SCV regains those nights that’s no guarantee they will regain all of the old customers. 

30 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

oh no............ I'm a horrible reader.............. I was too focused on the dramatics. 

From the top of page 2. 

zoom in

The DOJ has left itself room to just close this out whenever they want. 

page 1

page 2

So mid-Jan 24 is final final date?

Here's another problem, and for the last 12 months I've been wanting to pounce on this from day 1 I called BS. 

A lot of people convincingly held me back at the time, and now those last few voices over my shoulder asking me to wait have had a change of heart as well. 

Below are the Santa Clara City ordinances that governs SCV's bingo license which they are currently in violation or dangerously close to violating. 

https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/SantaClara/html/SantaClara05/SantaClara0575.html#5.75.040

5.75.060 Eligible organizations.

As soon as they expire as a non profit, this is a done deal. 

5.75.080 Exclusive operation by members of the licensee organization.

This covers paying employees, and without member fees and an inability to solicit donations this is a clear violation as well. 

5.75.150 Profits to be kept in a separate fund or account – Records.
I have no proof, but I suspect an audit will determine this. SCV also doesn't have audit financial statements to say to the contrary either.

5.75.190 Licensee organization’s submittal of financial records.
The licensee organization shall submit annually to the City the forms it submits to various government agencies to maintain the status that makes it eligible to operate a bingo game. These forms may include, but not be limited to, CT-2 (California Attorney General), Form 199 (California Franchise Tax Board), Form 990 (Internal Revenue Service), or equivalent forms. The licensee organization shall notify the City in writing of its fiscal year. The forms are to be submitted within three months of the close of the licensee organization’s fiscal year. There shall be a fine of fifty dollars ($50.00) per day for each and every day the financial records are late. (Ord. 1658 § 1, 6-28-94; Ord. 1729 § 1, 4-6-99. Formerly § 22-31.19).

This one is the one that is clear as day. The CA DOJ says as much. 

They are soon to not be an eligible organization. 

They are violating payroll laws both state and city. 

It's highly likely they are comingling funds, and don't have audited financial statements to say otherwise. 

They are not providing required forms and registrations 

Anyone of these can result in bingo penalties.

The $50 a day fine for failure to provide required forms amounts to $56,500 as of 7-DEC-2023, and another $10,000 can be imposed for the payroll violations.  

These have been going on for years, and all of them are within the jurisdiction of the City of Santa Clara. 

Time to go to a City Council meeting. 

Edited by Richard Lesher

10 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Well......... physically............. nothing is stopping a bunch of people from getting on busses and touring around the country with instruments and marching around on a football field until they run out of money lord knows where. It wont be the first time that has happened, and apparently, that almost happened to SCV in 2022. 

I totally see a scenario where the bingo plug is pulled, the delay of that information is a month or so to the rest of us and SCV decides to go on the road anyway with whatever they have in financial resources. 

I presume (wild guess) they could take a line of credit against the Bingo Hall which is worth several million as a parking lot alone. 

The priority is image.

Legal compliance is a distraction. 

this isn;'t the first time of rumors in 2022 being mentioned. anyone have any specifics?

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1