Mandarins Design team returns for 2024!

21 hours ago, corps8294 said:

One can only imagine what they are Conjuring up, next. 

I get a Bluecoats vibe from them in that they are also turning into Mad Scientists ( if they haven’t turned already) -that’s a great thing — the more mad scientists, the better

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, spacewill said:

You know I have ties to them via you, our HS percussion instructors, our sons HS bands designer, so I will continue to cheer them on with you.  I'm still waiting on what my son is going to do, it's 80% PC and 20% why not just try out for someone else for the heck of it!

PC is rising. Where would they be right now if Covid hadn't stripped all their momentum away from 2019. 

It would be awesome if your boy returned to PC to help them become the next DCI Finalist, but if not, I wish him the best of luck where ever he goes. 

18 hours ago, spacewill said:

You know I have ties to them via you, our HS percussion instructors, our sons HS bands designer, so I will continue to cheer them on with you.  I'm still waiting on what my son is going to do, it's 80% PC and 20% why not just try out for someone else for the heck of it!

Curiosity question (not trying to stir pot) - what is your son’s thoughts about trying out for 2024 SCV?   I know lots of us old folks are concerned, but does that trickle down to those who would actually try out?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Curiosity question (not trying to stir pot) - what is your son’s thoughts about trying out for 2024 SCV?   I know lots of us old folks are concerned, but does that trickle down to those who would actually try out?

This is my insight and only my insight from what my son learned on his first tour.  So whether others want to argue it, or whether half of it is true it's irrelevant.  This is what he has heard from people who marched there and PC.  So not knocking SCV at all as growing up and until recently they were one of my top 3 corps I cheered for and I hope they right their ship and can compete again for championships (with the right changes highlighted by many).  With that said:

He has zero interest in marching with SCV.  He already wasn't the biggest fan of their shows (aside from Babylon) but he also heard that the member experience was far from the best.  A few of the people who marched there were around PC helping and they also said they spent 1 year at SCV and left because of how they were treated as rookies.  Things like you weren't allowed to talk or give insight because you were new and not part of the established experts yet.   The only non PC corp he is going to try out for is BD.  They will have an audition in our city and he wants the experience/feedback from them.  He doesn't have high hopes of making BD this year as he knows they have a super high expectation and get to pick the best of the best.  However, he is doing it to set himself up for a future with BD if that is where he eventually wants to try for.  They tend to like people who try out, listen to what they say and return having improved in the areas they critiqued.  BD is a natural landing spot for a lot of the PC veterans which means a lot of the people he currently marched with may end up there and he built a lot of great friendships he wants to keep.   But again, right now I fully expect he will be at PC again and I am excited to cheer that awesome organization to their first finals soon!!!!!

Again, not looking to argue with anyone, just telling them what is out there and what others on tour hear and say (at least in his experience and ours from talking to some of them).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

PC is rising. Where would they be right now if Covid hadn't stripped all their momentum away from 2019. 

It would be awesome if your boy returned to PC to help them become the next DCI Finalist, but if not, I wish him the best of luck where ever he goes. 

I would actually be proud and excited for him if he ended up with PC again and did it to help them continue to improve.  I think before he marched last year his obvious thoughts was PC was a stepping stone on his journey.  But, and this is a huge exciting BUT, the organization, staff, MMs, and everyone else were so awesome that he learned the experience and journey is quite often more important than the final result of the competitions.   I love this life lesson and fully support it!  I would be proud to continue to pay his fees for PC for years to come if they continue to display the excellence as an organization that they did this past year!

• Like 4

On 9/23/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I get a Bluecoats vibe from them in that they are also turning into Mad Scientists ( if they haven’t turned already) -that’s a great thing — the more mad scientists, the better

They DID do a Univers Zero song last year. Bloo closed with another Univers Zero song in 2015.

• Like 1

I think this is both an exciting and crazy time for the Mandarin designers.  On one hand you have momentum and somewhat shocked the world with Sinnerman and the next level performance of the MMs executing it.  On the other hand you now have to follow the greatest year in Mandarin history with another amazing show.  Do you take it more in the same direction or do you do a 180 show concept but in a way that is still a "holy cow, that was amazing" show.  

I give these designers so much credit!  I can't come up with 1 fricking show and they not only do it year in and year out but most of them do 8+ designs a year for various crops and high schools!  Looking forward to what is next for all of the corps!  Mandarins show reveal may be the one (aside from the corp my son ends up with) that I am looking forward to the most!

• Like 1