RIP Robert W. Smith

Bob984

Prayers for Robert and his family

Wow, I didn't realize he was only 64 - gone way too soon...that means he was pretty young when he was arranging and composing shows for Suncoast in the mid 80's.  I remember him conducting the NJ All-State Band a number of years ago, and it was one of the best NJ All-State band concerts I had seen in my band directing career.  He performed the whole Divine Comedy set that he had composed, and it was extremely captivating.  Not just the performance by the kids, but his description between pieces of what he was trying to convey, etc.  It was very engaging and at the end when he had the brass stand up and play during the climax of Paradiso, it brought goose bumps to everyone in the audience. 

• Like 2

Rest in peace dear Robert W 

DCAf recorded an episode honoring Robert W Smith that should be out this week....not your usual DCAf for sure! Paris Foreman joined us

Amazing man, incredible legend in the drum corps activity, his marching band charts were first rate, and his concert band pieces were outstanding. His Troy University bands were incredible. There probably is not a band director in this country who has not conducted several of his works or arrangements. He wrote or arranged so many good DCI shows. I think my favorite is his 1985 A Florida Suite. HIs Les Miz for The Cadets in 1989 is top shelf. As Bocook noted in the DCI Artcile his 1988 score for Suncoast changed the activity and the other arrangers took note. We lost this man way too soon. 😞

R.I.P. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

I believe Michael Klesch wrote the Les Miz show, at least the bulk of it.

not what has been said publicly