Madison Scouts Welcome Mark Waymire to Lead Design Team

1 hour ago, scout9193 said:

It's all window dressing until there is change at the very top and through those that help him stay there.

Yup. It's a shame when toxic leaders are allowed to continue in their roles. Things never get better, they only get worse. 

• Like 2

What I’m curious about is why could Madison not put together such a high quality staff as the one that they just announced for 2024 before now?

On 10/9/2023 at 7:24 AM, TenHut said:

I honestly don't recall a single injury like this back in the day. None.

To be fair, I'm sure awareness is higher today. During my years, I think we only had 1 person during 1 season who was out for a bit due to injury. Of course, we had a highly talented guard then too, but I think awareness is higher nowadays and more consideration is given to injury. I was out one practice in Europe in '88 because I was sick. I thought it was motion sickness from flying but it must have been a bug that just happened to appear on the flight over there, because I've never gotten sick flying otherwise. 

11 hours ago, Vuitton said:

To be fair, I'm sure awareness is higher today. During my years, I think we only had 1 person during 1 season who was out for a bit due to injury. Of course, we had a highly talented guard then too, but I think awareness is higher nowadays and more consideration is given to injury. I was out one practice in Europe in '88 because I was sick. I thought it was motion sickness from flying but it must have been a bug that just happened to appear on the flight over there, because I've never gotten sick flying otherwise. 

Never missed a rehearsal or show for really any reason. I think I have a perfect attendance certificate somewhere … oh wait … that was for Sunday School. 

• Haha 3

On 10/9/2023 at 1:33 PM, madmooffan said:

From what I’ve heard from the one returning drum major we have, plans are to raise the bar and field a smaller hornline with more alternates this upcoming year. I definitely agree with you, having a smaller group that can give 95-100% all season is better than a larger one that is always somewhere between 70-90%.

In my eyes, I think the performers just didn’t prepare enough for a difficult production. I don’t think staff lowered the bar on membership too much, the general feeling was that we were a more talented corps than in ‘22 going into this season. People just didn’t get themselves to the level they needed to be. It was like they expected to be marching installation 85.

Going smaller & raising the bar sure worked for Colts!  In 2022, they came out with amazing performance levels with smaller numbers, and boom!  Top 12.  Then they grew in size and maturity of members & design again in 2023 and delivered their best year ever.  If not for Cavies Drum Line, I would have placed Colts 8th in front of Cavies.  Cavies drum line saved them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, HockeyDad said:

So much for that argument that placements don’t matter because all that matters is the kids are having fun. 

Performing will always be the highlight of the day, but the leaders need to reflect on their marching days and admit that losing (yes, not beating corps is losing) every night is demoralizing. Marching under the sun rather than under the lights is demoralizing. Watching your friends in other corps perform every night because you went on so early is demoralizing. Boarding a bus to head to the next town while your drum major stays behind for Finale and getting to the town before the DM does the Finale is demoralizing. 

No football player wants to go through off-season weight training, two-a-days, and in-season practice, only to get smoked every Friday night. No matter how much they love the game, losing is demoralizing. It's human nature, and the leadership needs to realize that there is nothing noble about a standing ovation when you are about to be passed by Open Class corps. Remember...Madison is competing against the Blue Devils and SCV, but it's the second-tier BD and SCV. Have they dug a competitive hole too deep to climb out of?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly unrelated, I came through Wash Dulles airport yesterday coming home from South Africa and one of the TSA agents noticed my partner's Scouts hoodie (my son marched this year). He said he'd marched Cavaliers, judging by his age I'd say late 90s, early 00s. 

He said something about drum corps family as we walked through the scanner and it was probably one of the best security screenings I've had in recent memory. 🥲

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1992AllOverAgain said:

Slightly unrelated, I came through Wash Dulles airport yesterday coming home from South Africa and one of the TSA agents noticed my partner's Scouts hoodie (my son marched this year). He said he'd marched Cavaliers, judging by his age I'd say late 90s, early 00s. 

He said something about drum corps family as we walked through the scanner and it was probably one of the best security screenings I've had in recent memory. 🥲

Speaking of TSA, my son had his nail confiscated by them at LAX after championships in Pasadena. The Scouts replaced it for him.  I thought it was an odd thing to confiscate. It’s a really small nail on a chain. 

• Sad 1